This executive document was published in the 05/01/2005, issue, Vol. 2005, No. 9, of the Utah State Bulletin.
Governor, Administration: Governor's Proclamation: Calling the Fifty-Sixth Legislature into the First Special Session
Issued: April 14, 2005
WHEREAS, since the adjournment of the 2005 General Session of the Fifty-Sixth Legislature of the State of Utah, matters have arisen that require immediate legislative attention; and
WHEREAS, Article VII, Section 6 of the Constitution of the State of Utah provides that the Governor may, by proclamation, convene the Legislature into Special Session;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jon M. Huntsman, Jr., Governor of the State of Utah, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the Laws of the State of Utah, do by this Proclamation call the Fifty-Sixth Legislature of the State of Utah into a Special Session at the State Capitol Complex, at Salt Lake City, Utah, on the 19th day of April, 2005, at 2:00 p.m., for the following purposes:
1. To consider a provision directing public education officials regarding the administration and implementation of federal educational programs;
2. To consider a provision authorizing funding for, and the construction of, a veterans nursing home;
3. To consider a provision authorizing a substance abuse screening, assessment, and treatment study;
4. To consider a provision modifying the conditions under which a health care provider may bring an action against a health maintenance organization or preferred provider organization for payment and to require objective provider contracting provisions;
5. To consider a provision requiring the State Court Administrator, subject to legislative appropriation, to provide grants to nonprofit legal assistance providers;
6. To consider a joint resolution supporting jail expansion in Beaver, Millard, and Sanpete Counties through a contract with the Utah Department of Corrections;
7. To consider modifying provisions relating to tourism advertising, marketing, and branding;
8. To consider a provision modifying notice and hearing provisions relating to property tax increases by participants in certain interlocal cooperation entities;
9. To consider a provision modifying existing law regarding property tax levy rates, or other methods of funding services, for county service areas;
10. To consider a provision regarding funding for convention facilities in counties of the first class;
11. To consider a provision modifying membership of legislative task forces;
12. To consider a provision regarding funding for transportation;
13. To consider a provision modifying existing law concerning the process of making boundary adjustments between municipalities;
14. To consider a provision to give certain executive officials a 4.5% compensation increase; and
15. To consider a provision amending election law to require the State to obtain voting equipment capable of producing an auditable record of votes cast.
IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Utah. Done at the State Capitol Complex in Salt Lake City, Utah, this 14th day of April, 2005.
M. Huntsman, Jr.
Gary R. Herbert
Each executive document is published from an electronic version provided by the Governor's office. Occasionally, special symbols or characters may appear in the original document (e.g., a section character for the word "section", a publishing quote for a regular quote, etc.). These special symbols or characters may not translate well across computer systems or applications. In cases where special symbols or characters have been used in the original, the division has substituted the full word or the standard character.
For questions regarding the content or application of this document, please contact the Governor's Office (801-538-1000).