This executive document was published in the 02/15/2008, issue, Vol. 2008, No. 4, of the Utah State Bulletin.
Governor, Administration: Governor's Executive Order 2008-0001: Creating the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee
Issued: February 8, 2008
Creating the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee
WHEREAS, the Governor's Taskforce on Pandemic Influenza Preparedness has recommended a permanent advisory committee be established;
WHEREAS, the State of Utah needs to be prepared for public health emergencies and establish a process for decision-making during such emergencies that promotes public trust and cooperation with those decisions,
WHEREAS, keeping citizens healthy is a top priority of the State of Utah;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Jon M. Huntsman, Jr., Governor of the State of Utah, by virtue of the power vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the State of Utah do hereby order the following:
1. There is created a Public Health Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee.
2. The committee consists of members appointed by the Governor to a 3 year term, not to exceed 2 terms.
a. Members should be selected based on their specific knowledge critical to response in a pandemic or other public health emergency; they shall also be selected to be widely representative of different sectors of society throughout Utah.
3. The committee shall initially:
a. Oversee completion of recommendations of the Governor's Taskforce on Pandemic Influenza Preparedness
b. Review and assess preparedness in Utah for a pandemic, including potentially reviewing plans or results of assessments or exercises.
c. Review and issue recommendations on key decisions and plans
4. After activities in subsection 3 are completed, the committee may make a request to the Governor on other public health emergency preparedness areas the committee would like to review and assess.
5. The committee will not be responsible for operational direction during a pandemic or other public health emergency.
6. The committee should not be expected to coordinate operational response during a pandemic or other public health emergency or to coordinate preparedness activities among state agencies or between state and local agencies.
7. The committee may establish technical advisory groups that work under the overall direction of the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee.
8. The Utah Department of Health shall provide the committee budgetary and staff support as approved by the Executive Director.
9. Members of the Public Health Emergency Preparedness Advisory Committee serve without compensation.
IN WITNESS, WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Utah. Done in Salt Lake City, Utah, this 8th day of February, 2008.
Jon M. Huntsman, Jr
Gary R. Herbert
Each executive document is published from an electronic version provided by the Governor's office. Occasionally, special symbols or characters may appear in the original document (e.g., a section character for the word "section", a publishing quote for a regular quote, etc.). These special symbols or characters may not translate well across computer systems or applications. In cases where special symbols or characters have been used in the original, the division has substituted the full word or the standard character.
For questions regarding the content or application of this document, please contact the Governor's Office (801-538-1000).