This document was published in the July 1, 2012, issue (Vol. 2012, No. 13) of the Utah State Bulletin.
Governor, Administration: Governor's Executive Order EO/004/2012: Creating the Disabilities Advisory Council
Issued: May 14, 2012
Creating the Disabilities Advisory Council
WHEREAS, the mission of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities is to promote opportunities and provide support for persons with disabilities to lead self-determined lives;
WHEREAS, in accordance with 62A-5-102, the Division of Services for People with Disabilities would like to enhance the support it provides by encouraging regular input, review and evaluation of its services and policies by stakeholders in the disability system;
WHEREAS, the full array of services is critical to effectively serving individuals and families with disabilities;
WHEREAS , the Division of Services for People with Disabilities would like to build relationships and partnerships to promote activities that mutually benefit stakeholders within the community and institutions;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Gary R. Herbert, Governor of the State of Utah, by virtue of power vested in me by the Constitution and the Laws of the State hereby:
(1) Create a Council to be known as the Disabilities Advisory Council that shall be comprised of the following members:
(a) the Director of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities;
(b) the Director of the Department of Health, Bureau of Authorization and Community Based Services or designee;
(c) two individuals with disabilities receiving Division of Services for People with Disabilities services in the community;
(d) two family members of individuals with disabilities receiving Division of Services for People with Disabilities services in the community;
(e) one individual or family member waiting for services from the Division of Services for People with Disabilities;
(f) one individual or family member receiving services from the Utah State Developmental Center or private ICF/ID;
(g) two home or community based providers of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities services from the private sector;
(h) two support coordinators of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities services from the private sector.
(2) Members specified in (1) (with the exception of those listed in (1)(a) and (b)) will be selected by the Executive Director of the Department of Human Services from applications made by eligible stakeholders. These members shall be appointed for a term of three years and may be reappointed for one additional three year term.
(3) The first round of appointments shall be staggered so the Council does not have all new membership in the following years. Beginning 2012, one individual from (1)(c), (d), (g) and (h) shall serve an added year (for a total of 4 years) before their first term ends.
(4) All members serve at the pleasure of the Executive Director of the Department of Human Services and may be removed at any time without cause.
(5) Members specified in (1)(a) and (b) shall serve on the Council as long as he/she occupies the indicated position in state government.
(6) Members of the Council shall serve without compensation.
(7) The Council members shall appoint a Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Council from among its members. All members of the council are eligible for appointment as chair and vice-chair person. The Division of Services for People with Disabilities will provide staff support for record keeping, distribution of minutes and meeting arrangements.
(8) Each Council member shall have one vote, with the exception of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities Director, who will vote only in the event of a tie.
(9) The Council shall meet at least quarterly; additional meetings may be held based on the call of the chairperson or by request by a majority of the members of the council.
(10) Annually, the Council shall hold a public hearing to gather input regarding the Division supports and services from all interested public.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the primary functions of the Council shall be as follows:
(1) To increase meaningful stakeholder input and technical assistance regrading the efficiency and effectiveness of the Division of Services for People with Disabilities supports and services;
(2) To review and evaluate current and future policies, procedures, standards, guidelines and regulations to ensure efficiency and effectiveness;
(3) To encourage positive relationships among stakeholders, the Division of Services for Disabilities, the Department of Human Services and the Department of Health;
(4) To offer recommendations to the Division of Services for People with Disabilities that would improve the supports and services it provides;
(5) To serve as a resource to the Division of Services for People with Disabilities for new ideas, future projects and best practices;
(6) To promote partnerships between the Division of Services for People with Disabilities and other agencies and organizations offering supports to persons with disabilities and their families;
(7) To solicit input from other stakeholders in the disability system regarding the Division of Services for People with Disabilities supports and services.
IN WITNESS, WHEREOF , I have hereunto set my hand and cause to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Utah. Done at the State Capitol in Salt Lake City, Utah, this 14th day of May, 2012.
Gary R. Herbert
Each executive document is published from an electronic version provided by the Governor's office. Occasionally, special symbols or characters may appear in the original document (e.g., a section character for the word "section", a publishing quote for a regular quote, etc.). These special symbols or characters may not translate well across computer systems or applications. In cases where special symbols or characters have been used in the original, the division has substituted the full word or the standard character.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the Bulletin is the official version. The PDF version of this issue is available at http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bull-pdf/2012/b20120701.pdf. The HTML edition of the Bulletin is a convenience copy. Any discrepancy between the PDF version and HTML version is resolved in favor of the PDF version.
For questions regarding the content or application of this document, please contact Ashlee Buchholz, by phone at 801-538-1621, by FAX at 801-538-1528, or by Internet E-mail at Abuchholz@utah.gov.