This document was published in the January 1, 2015, issue (Vol. 2015, No. 1) of the Utah State Bulletin.
Governor, Administration: Governor's Executive Order EO/010/2014: Utah Futures Steering Committee
Issued: December 10, 2014
Utah Futures Steering Committee
WHEREAS, UtahFutures.org is a web-based advisement tool hosted by the Utah Department of Technology Services that meets the Association of Career Professionals guidelines. UtahFutures.org allows students, together with their school career counselors, to make education and career plans online, and manage Student Education Occupation Plans in public schools. Utahfutures.org is also designed support students beyond their secondary education and extend its resources into and throughout their adult lives by integrating adult education, higher education, and job seeker resources and tools;
WHEREAS, UtahFutures.org was launched under the direction of the UtahFutures Steering Committee formed in 2011 through Executive Order of the Governor and the Utah Futures Working Group;
WHEREAS, the Executive Order that formed the Utah Futures Executive Steering Committee has expired;
WHEREAS,the Governor's Education Excellence Commission, in partnership with public education, higher education, and business, recommended, as part of its Vision 2020: 8 Proposals for 2011, that the State "improve internal alignments within government to align education with economic development objectives";
WHEREAS, in order to build upon the solid foundation UtahFutures.org possesses, the Utah Futures Steering Committee should continue and work to better implement the Utah Futures system and strategically engage industry and business entities within the system;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Gary R. Herbert, Governor of the State of Utah, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State, do hereby order the following:
1. The Utah Futures Steering Committee shall continue. The Committee shall be comprised of nine members, with the Governor appointing one member as Chair. The membership of the Executive Steering Committee shall be comprised of:
(a) the Education Advisor to the Governor's Office;
(b) the State Superintendent of Public Schools or designee;
(c) the Commissioner of Higher Education or designee;
(d) the Executive Director of the Department of Workforce Services or designee;
(e) the Executive Director of the Department of Heritage and Arts or designee;
(f) the Executive Director of the Utah Education and Telehealth Network or designee;
(g) the President of the Utah College of Applied Technology or designee;
(h) the Executive Director of the Governor's Office of Economic Development or designee;
(i) the Director of GEAR UP or designee;
2. In order to expand partner participation, the Steering Committee shall establish an Advisory Board.
3. The Steering Committee will be staffed by the organization that the Chair represents and members of the Advisory Board as necessary;
4. The Steering Committee shall meet as often as needed in order to accomplish its objectives, but no less than twice a year;
5. The Steering Committee shall designate one of its member organizations as the fiscal agent for Utahfutures.org;
6. The Steering Committee shall provide direction to, and receive reports from, the Advisory Board;
7. The Advisory Board shall coordinate efforts to fulfill the responsibilities assigned by the Steering Committee, as well as utilize their expertise in supporting and advancing UtahFutures.org;
8. The Steering Committee shall establish a plan that includes, but is not limited to:
(a) analytics that measure the effectiveness of the site;
(b) proven technologies in the areas of the enterprise portal, social media and on-line interaction and collaboration, video streaming, education, and career planning applications;
(c) an ongoing evaluation of the current site and the technology used, including review of similar sites in other states and commercially available software, to ensure that Utahfutures.org is achieving its stated purpose in the most effective method;
(d) the ability to act as a one-stop exploration and planning system for career, high school courses, college, financial aid, and other related transitions;
(e) methods to explore the feasibility and desirability of a more streamlined process for completing a college admission application;
(f) the basic requirements of the Association of Career Professionals certification;
(g) objectives that define long-term success for users, immediate needs and success for users, and accountability for stakeholder in efforts to support the site;
(h) the utilization of established best practices as well as current and generally accepted technologies, that are both cost effective and easily accessible by Utah students and parents;
(i) the annual development of operational objectives that identify how the site will assist students and parents to be better informed regarding their educational and workforce decisions and opportunities in Utah;
(j) strategies for school counselors and school administrations to utilize and optimize the use of UtahFutures.org in their career counseling programs. Those strategies should address training of school staff as well as training for students and their parents to increase both understanding and use of the site.
(k) the annual establishment of metrics and goals by the Advisory Board to measure how successfully the site is being utilized by users including areas of training, reach of use, and acceptance among students, parents, and education administrators;
(l) the identification and approval of enhancements, outreach initiatives, training, and any other actions partner agencies could take to assist in successful achievement of defined objectives, including but not limited to data access, collaboration with stakeholder groups, and potential use of existing agency resources;
(m) actions to ensure the security of Utah student's data;
9. The Utah Futures Steering Committee shall report the results of the program in an annual report to the Governor no later than October 1st of each year. The Steering Committee may be asked to report to the Legislature's Education Interim Committee, the Public Education Subcommittee, or partner agencies at least annually and, more frequently, as reasonably requested by the Utah State Legislature.
10. The Utah Futures Steering Committee shall be in existence until December 31, 2018, unless extended by future executive order.
11. This Executive Order is intended to supersede Executive Order 2011-005.
IN WITNESS, WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the great Seal of the State of Utah. Done at the Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City, Utah, on this, the 10th day of December 2014.
Gary R. Herbert
Spencer J. Cox
Each executive document is published from an electronic version provided by the Governor's office. Occasionally, special symbols or characters may appear in the original document (e.g., a section character for the word "section", a publishing quote for a regular quote, etc.). These special symbols or characters may not translate well across computer systems or applications. In cases where special symbols or characters have been used in the original, the division has substituted the full word or the standard character.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the Bulletin is the official version. The PDF version of this issue is available at http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bull-pdf/2015/b20150101.pdf. The HTML edition of the Bulletin is a convenience copy. Any discrepancy between the PDF version and HTML version is resolved in favor of the PDF version.
For questions regarding the content or application of this document, please contact Ashlee Buchholz, by phone at 801-538-1621, by FAX at 801-538-1528, or by Internet E-mail at Abuchholz@utah.gov.