This document was published in the November 15, 2015, issue (Vol. 2015, No. 22) of the Utah State Bulletin.
Governor, Administration: Executive Military Advisory Committee, Utah Exec. Order No. 2015-10
Issued: October 13, 2015
Executive Military Advisory Committee
WHEREAS, Utah proudly supports the military, service members and veterans;
WHEREAS, strong military communities in Utah provide for the defense of our State and Nation while contributing significantly to our economy; and
WHEREAS, national security installations, units, organizations and supporting enterprises within the State of Utah represent significant resources and vast training areas uniquely positioned to stimulate economic growth while meeting current and future defense needs of our country;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Gary R. Herbert, Governor of the State of Utah, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the State, do hereby order:
1. The creation of the Executive Military Advisory Committee (the Committee) for the State of Utah. The Committee shall:
a. function as a body of expert advisors to provide counsel to the Governor on matters related to the military and the defense of the state and nation;
b. coordinate military and defense efforts and resources among state agencies and community stakeholders;
c. offer professional insights to help inform and shape Utah's military affairs consistent with the State's priorities and objectives; and
d. create a coordinated plan to optimize the State's investment in national defense resources.
2. The Lieutenant Governor shall serve as the chair of the Committee; if the Lieutenant Governor is unable to attend a meeting, the Lieutenant Governor may designate another member to serve as chair for the meeting. Membership will include, but shall not be limited to:
a. the Lieutenant Governor;>
b. The Adjutant General of the Utah National Guard;
c. the Executive Director of the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs;
d. the Executive Director of the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development;
e. the Executive Director of the Utah Governor’s Office of Management and Budget;
f. the Executive Director of the Utah Department of Workforce Services;
g. a representative of the Utah Defense Alliance appointed by the Governor;
h. two representatives of the Utah business community appointed by the Governor; and
i. other members as appointed by the Governor.
3. Committee Staff shall provide support and assistance to the committee as directed by the Lieutenant Governor. Staff shall be selected by the Lieutenant Governor and may include, but shall not be limited to:
a. a Military Fellow provided by the Utah National Guard;
b. one Action Officer from both the Governor’s Office of Economic Development and the Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs; and
c. a Senior Military Mentor, who possesses a broad, national-level, seasoned military perspective.
4. The Committee shall meet at least quarterly, but may meet as often as needed as determined by the Governor or the Lieutenant Governor;
5. The Committee should seek consultation, information and technical expertise from city and county governments, the directors of state agencies, federal agencies, business and industry professionals, and members of the public;
6. The Committee may adopt by-laws to govern meetings and operations consistent with this Order;
7. This order shall remain in effect until December 31, 2017.
IN TESTIMONY, WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Utah this 13th day of October 2015.
Gary R. Herbert
Spencer J. Cox
Each executive document is published from an electronic version provided by the Governor's office. Occasionally, special symbols or characters may appear in the original document (e.g., a section character for the word "section", a publishing quote for a regular quote, etc.). These special symbols or characters may not translate well across computer systems or applications. In cases where special symbols or characters have been used in the original, the division has substituted the full word or the standard character.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the Bulletin is the official version. The PDF version of this issue is available at http://www.rules.utah.gov/publicat/bull-pdf/2015/b20151115.pdf. The HTML edition of the Bulletin is a convenience copy. Any discrepancy between the PDF version and HTML version is resolved in favor of the PDF version.
For questions regarding the content or application of this document, please contact Ashlee Buchholz, by phone at 801-538-1621, by FAX at 801-538-1528, or by Internet E-mail at Abuchholz@utah.gov.