DAR File No. 40241
This rule was published in the March 15, 2016, issue (Vol. 2016, No. 6) of the Utah State Bulletin.
Workforce Services, Employment Development
Additional Payments Available Under Certain Circumstances
Notice of Proposed Rule
DAR File No.: 40241
Filed: 03/01/2016 02:05:29 PM
Purpose of the rule or reason for the change:
The purpose of this amendment is to allow flexibility in defraying costs associated with enhanced activities.
Summary of the rule or change:
The Department encourages clients in the Family Employment Plan to participate in enhanced activities to help clients return to gainful employment. The Department helps defray the additional costs for these enhanced activities. Previously only three activities were recognized but the Department has learned other activities can help speed the return to the job market. Making the list of approved activities available in policy will allow the Department to meet the changing needs of the job market and our clients. The Department previously offered $60 to defray the costs but some activities are more expensive and some less. Again, by listing the enhanced payment amount in policy instead of rule, it allows the Department to set an amount that meets the actual costs incurred for participation.
State statutory or constitutional authorization for this rule:
- Section 35A-1-104
- Section 35A-3-301
- Subsection 35A-1-104(4)
Anticipated cost or savings to:
the state budget:
This applies to federally-funded programs so there are no costs or savings to the state budget.
This applies to federally-funded programs so there are no costs or savings to local governments.
There will be no costs to small businesses to comply with these changes because this is a federally-funded program.
persons other than small businesses, businesses, or local governmental entities:
There will be no costs to persons other than small businesses, businesses, or local government entities to comply with these changes because there are no costs or fees associated with these proposed changes.
Compliance costs for affected persons:
There are no compliance costs for this change to anyone, including persons affected by this change.
Comments by the department head on the fiscal impact the rule may have on businesses:
There are no compliance costs associated with this change. There are no fees associated with this change. There will be no cost to anyone to comply with these changes. There will be no fiscal impact on any business.
Jon Pierpont, Executive Director
The full text of this rule may be inspected, during regular business hours, at the Division of Administrative Rules, or at:Workforce Services
140 E 300 S
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84111-2333
Direct questions regarding this rule to:
- Suzan Pixton at the above address, by phone at 801-526-9645, by FAX at 801-526-9211, or by Internet E-mail at email@example.com
Interested persons may present their views on this rule by submitting written comments to the address above no later than 5:00 p.m. on:
This rule may become effective on:
Jon Pierpont, Executive Director
R986. Workforce Services, Employment Development.
R986-200. Family Employment Program.
R986-200-240. Additional Payments Available Under Certain Circumstances.
(1) Each parent eligible for financial
assistance in the FEP or FEPTP programs who takes part in at least
one enhanced participation activity may be eligible to receive [
$60 each month] in
addition to the standard financial assistance payment.
[ Enhanced participation activities are limited
to: (a) work experience sites of at least 20 hours a week and
other eligible activities that together total 30 hours per
week; (b) full-time attendance in an education or employment
training program; or (c) employment of 20 hours or more a week and other
eligible activities that together total 30 hours per
(2) An additional payment of $15 per month for a pregnant woman in the third month prior to the expected month of delivery. Eligibility for the allowance begins in the month the woman provides medical proof that she is in the third month prior to the expected month of delivery. The pregnancy allowance ends at the end of the month the pregnancy ends.
(3) A limited number of funds are available to individuals for work and training expenses. The funds can only be used to alleviate circumstances which impede the individual's ability to begin or continue employment, job search, training, or education. The payment of these funds is completely discretionary by the Department. The individual does not need to meet any eligibility requirements to request or receive these funds.
(4) Limited funds are available, up to a maximum of $300, to pay for burial costs if the individual is not entitled to a burial paid for by the county.
(5) A Department Regional Director or designee may approve assistance, as funding allows, for the emergency needs of a non-resident who is transient, temporarily stranded in Utah, and who does not intend to stay in Utah.
(6) A limited number of funds are available for enhanced payments to parents who are eligible for financial assistance in the FEP program or who are eligible for TANF non-FEP training under R986-200-245 and who participate in the HS/GED Pilot Program. The payment of these funds is completely discretionary by the Department and may differ from region to region. The payments may continue until the client completes the HS/GED Pilot Program even if the client is no longer receiving FEP.
KEY: family employment program
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment: 2016
Notice of Continuation: September 2, 2015
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: 35A-3-301 et seq.
More information about a Notice of Proposed Rule is available online.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the Bulletin is the official version. The PDF version of this issue is available at https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/bull-pdf/2016/b20160315.pdf. The HTML edition of the Bulletin is a convenience copy. Any discrepancy between the PDF version and HTML version is resolved in favor of the PDF version.
Text to be deleted is struck through and surrounded by brackets ([
example]). Text to be added is underlined (). Older browsers may not depict some or any of these attributes on the screen or when the document is printed.
For questions regarding the content or application of this rule, please contact Suzan Pixton at the above address, by phone at 801-526-9645, by FAX at 801-526-9211, or by Internet E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the rulemaking process, please contact the Division of Administrative Rules.