DAR File No. 40501
This rule was published in the July 1, 2016, issue (Vol. 2016, No. 13) of the Utah State Bulletin.
Definitions for Utah State Board of Education (Board) Rules
Notice of Proposed Rule
DAR File No.: 40501
Filed: 06/15/2016 08:13:48 PM
Purpose of the rule or reason for the change:
This rule is amended to update statutory language consistent with state law; to make a definition consistent with current terminology; and to renumber the rule.
Summary of the rule or change:
Subsection 53A-1-401(3) is changed to Section 53A-1-401, and the language is changed to reflect current state law; the definition of SEOP is updated to reflect current terminology; and the rule number R277-99 is changed to R277-100.
State statutory or constitutional authorization for this rule:
- Art X, Sec 3
- Section 53A-1-401
Anticipated cost or savings to:
the state budget:
The amendments to this rule provide updated statutory language and a change to a definition, which likely will not result in a cost or savings to the state budget.
The amendments to this rule provide updated statutory language and a change to a definition, which likely will not result in a cost or savings to local government.
The amendments to this rule provide updated statutory language and a change to a definition, which likely will not result in a cost or savings to small businesses.
persons other than small businesses, businesses, or local governmental entities:
The amendments to this rule provide updated statutory language and a change to a definition, which likely will not result in a cost or savings to persons other than small businesses, businesses, or local government entities.
Compliance costs for affected persons:
The amendments to this rule provide updated statutory language and a change to a definition, which likely will not result in any compliance costs for affected persons.
Comments by the department head on the fiscal impact the rule may have on businesses:
To the best of my knowledge, there should be no fiscal impact on businesses resulting from the amendments to this rule.
Sydnee Dickson, Interim State Superintendent
The full text of this rule may be inspected, during regular business hours, at the Office of Administrative Rules, or at:Education
250 E 500 S
SALT LAKE CITY, UT 84111-3272
Direct questions regarding this rule to:
- Angela Stallings at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7656, by FAX at 801-538-7768, or by Internet E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested persons may present their views on this rule by submitting written comments to the address above no later than 5:00 p.m. on:
This rule may become effective on:
Angela Stallings, Associate Superintendent, Policy and Communication
R277. Education, Administration.
. Definitions for Utah State Board of Education (Board)
-1. Authority and Purpose.
(1) This rule is authorized by Utah
Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and
supervision of public education in the Board and by S[
ubs]ection 53A-1-401[ (3)] which [ permits] the Board to [ adopt] rules [ in accordance with its responsibilities].
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide definitions that are used in the Board rules beginning with R277.
(1) "Accreditation" means the formal process for internal and external review and approval under the standards of an accrediting entity adopted by the Board.
(2) "Audit" means an independent appraisal activity established by the Board as a control system to examine and evaluate the adequacy and effectiveness of internal control systems within an agency.
(3) "Board" means the State Board of Education.
(4) "Charter school" means a school established as a charter school by a charter school authorizer under Title 53A, Chapter 1a, Part 5, The Utah Charter Schools Act, and rule.
(5) "District school" means a public school under the control of a local school board elected under Title 20A, Chapter 14, Nomination and Election of State and Local School Boards.
(6) "Educator" means an individual licensed under Section 53A-6-104 and who meets the requirements of R277-501.
(7) "Individualized education program" or "IEP" means a written statement for a student with a disability that is developed, reviewed, and revised in accordance with Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 20 U.S.C. Section 1400 (2004), and rule.
(8) "Individuals with Disabilities Education Act" or "IDEA," 20 U.S.C. Section 1400 et seq. (2004), is a four part (A-D) piece of federal legislation that ensures a student with a disability is provided with a Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) that is tailored to the student's individual needs.
(9)(a) "LEA" or "local education agency" means a school district or charter school.
(b) For purposes of certain rules, "LEA" or "local education agency" may include the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind (USDB) if indicated in the specific rule.
(10)(a) "LEA governing board" means:
(i) for a school district, a local school board; and
(ii) for a charter school, a charter school governing board.
(b) For purposes of certain rules, "LEA governing board" may include the State Board of Education as the governing board for the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind if indicated in the specific rule.
(11) "Parent" means a parent or guardian who has established residency of a child under Sections 53A-2-201, 53A-2-202, or 53A-2-207 or another applicable Utah guardianship provision.
SEOP/]Plan for College and Career Readiness"
means a student education occupation
plan for college and career readiness that is a developmentally
organized intervention process that includes:
(a) a written plan, updated annually, for a secondary student's (grades 7-12) education and occupational preparation;
(b) all Board, local board and local charter board graduation requirements;
(c) evidence of parent or guardian, student, and school representative involvement annually;
(d) attainment of approved workplace skill competencies, including job placement when appropriate; and
(e) identification of post secondary goals and approved sequence of courses.
(13) "State Charter School Board" or "SCSB" means the State Charter School Board created in Section 53A-1a-501.5.
(14) "Superintendent" means the State Superintendent of Public Instruction or the Superintendent's designee.
(15) "USDB" means the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
(16) "USOE" means the Utah State Office of
7]) "USOR" means the Utah State Office of
KEY: Board of Education, rules, definitions
Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment: [
August 26, 2015]
Authorizing, and Implemented or Interpreted Law: Art X Sec 3;
More information about a Notice of Proposed Rule is available online.
The Portable Document Format (PDF) version of the Bulletin is the official version. The PDF version of this issue is available at https://rules.utah.gov/publicat/bull-pdf/2016/b20160701.pdf. The HTML edition of the Bulletin is a convenience copy. Any discrepancy between the PDF version and HTML version is resolved in favor of the PDF version.
Text to be deleted is struck through and surrounded by brackets ([
example]). Text to be added is underlined (). Older browsers may not depict some or any of these attributes on the screen or when the document is printed.
For questions regarding the content or application of this rule, please contact Angela Stallings at the above address, by phone at 801-538-7656, by FAX at 801-538-7768, or by Internet E-mail at email@example.com. For questions about the rulemaking process, please contact the Office of Administrative Rules.