Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R58. Agriculture and Food, Animal Industry.
Rule R58-3. Brucellosis Vaccination Requirements.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R58-3-1. Authority.
- R58-3-2. Definitions.
- R58-3-3. Utah Cattle and Bison Vaccination Requirements.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) Promulgated under the authority of section 4-31-109 and Subsections 4-2-103(1)(c)(i), 4-2-103(1)(j).
(2) It is the intent of this rule to state the brucellosis vaccination requirements for cattle and bison within Utah.
(1) "Accredited Veterinarian" means a veterinarian approved by the Deputy Administrator of Veterinary Services (VS), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), in accordance with the provisions of 9 CFR 161 to perform functions required by cooperative State-Federal disease control and eradication programs.
(2) "Bison" means a bovine-like animal (genus Bison) commonly referred to as American buffalo or buffalo.
(3) "Brucellosis Technician" means an individual approved and trained by the State Veterinarian or designee to administer Brucella abortus vaccine and appropriately identify the animal.
(4) "Cattle" means all domestic bovine (genus Bos).
(5) "Official USDA vaccination tag" means a metal identification eartag that provides unique identification for each individual animal by conforming to the nine (9)-character alpha-numeric national uniform eartagging system or any other unique identification device approved by the United States Department of Agriculture.
(6) "RFID" means a radio frequency identification device used as individual identification of livestock.
(1) All Utah cattle and bison heifers intended for replacement breeding animals must be vaccinated against Brucella abortus.
(2) Vaccination of cattle and bison heifer calves shall be administered by an accredited veterinarian or by a brucellosis technician.
(3) All cattle and bison heifers shall be vaccinated with strain RB-51 administered between 4 and 12 months of age. These heifers shall be properly identified by official tattoos and ear tag (either official USDA vaccination tag or RFID of approved design) and shall be reported on an official vaccination certificate (VS Form 4-24) within 30 days to the State Veterinarian.
(4) Cattle and bison heifers not intended for replacement breeding are exempt from the vaccination requirement in subsection R58-3-3(1).
brucellosis, vaccination, cattle, bison
April 16, 2014
January 12, 2017
4-31-109; 4-2-2(1)(c)(i); 4-2-2(1)(j)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R58, please contact the promulgating agency (Agriculture and Food, Animal Industry). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.