Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R81. Alcoholic Beverage Control, Administration.

Rule R81-10D. Tavern Beer Licenses.

As in effect on January 1, 2020

Table of Contents

R81-10D-1. Licensing.

(1) Tavern beer licenses are issued to persons as defined in Section 32B-1-102(74). The department must be immediately notified of any action or transaction that may alter the organizational structure or ownership interest of the person to whom the license is issued to ensure there is no violation of Sections 32B-5-310.

R81-10D-2. Application.

(1) No license application will be included on the agenda of a monthly commission meeting for consideration for issuance of a tavern license until:

(a) The applicant has first met all requirements of Sections 32B-1-304 (qualifications to hold the license), and 32B-5-201, -204, and 32B-6-703 and -705 (submission of a completed application, payment of application and licensing fees, written consent of local authority, copy of current local business license(s) necessary for operation as a tavern beer license, evidence of proximity to certain community locations, a bond, a floor plan, and public liability insurance and liquor liability insurance if the tavern sells more than $5000 of beer annually); and

(b) the department has inspected the tavern premise.

(2)(a) All application requirements of Subsection (1)(a) must be filed with the department no later than the 10th day of the month in order for the application to be included on that month's commission meeting agenda unless the 10th day of the month is a Saturday, Sunday, or state or federal holiday, in which case all application requirements of Subsection (1)(a) must be filed on the next business day after the 10th day of the month.

(b) An incomplete application will be returned to the applicant.

(c) A completed application filed after the deadline in Subsection (2)(a) will not be considered by the commission that month, but will be included on the agenda of the commission meeting the following month.

R81-10D-3. Bonds.

No part of any corporate or cash bond required by Section 32B-5-204 and 32B-6-705(4) may be withdrawn during the time the license is in effect. If the tavern beer licensee fails to maintain a valid corporate or cash bond, the license shall be immediately suspended until a valid bond is obtained. Failure to obtain a bond within 30 days of notification by the department of the delinquency shall result in the automatic revocation of the license.

R81-10D-4. Insurance.

Public liability and dram shop insurance coverage required in Section 32B-5-201(2)(j)must remain in force during the time the license is in effect. Failure of the licensee to maintain the required insurance coverage may result in a suspension or revocation of the license by the commission.

R81-10D-5. Identification Badge.

Each employee of the licensee who sells, dispenses or provides alcoholic beverages shall wear a unique identification badge visible above the waist, bearing the employee's first name, initials, or a unique number in letters or numbers not less than 3/8 inch high. The identification badge must be worn on the front portion of the employee's body. The licensee shall maintain a record of all employee badges assigned, which shall be available for inspection by any peace officer, or representative of the department. The record shall include the employee's full name and address and a driver's license or similar identification number.


alcoholic beverages

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

December 24, 2018

Notice of Continuation

September 28, 2016

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law

32-1-607; 32B-2-202; 32B-5; 32B-6-701 through 708

Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R81, please contact the promulgating agency (Alcoholic Beverage Control, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.