Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R251. Corrections, Administration.
Rule R251-111. Government Records Access and Management.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R251-111-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R251-111-2. Definitions.
- R251-111-3. Requests for Access.
- R251-111-4. Inmate Submission Requirements -- Forms.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized Sections 63A-12-104(2), 63G-2-204, 64-13-10, 46-4-501 and 46-4-502, of the Utah Code.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide procedures for access to government records of the Department of Corrections and to facilitate intergovernmental, cross-boundary intercooperation.
(1) "Department" means the Department of Corrections.
(2) "GRAMA" means Government Records Access and Management Act, Title 63G, Chapter 2, Utah Code.
(3) "Individual" means a human being.
(4) "Inmate" means any person who is committed to the custody of the Department and who is housed at a correctional facility or at a county jail at the request of the Department.
(5) "Person" means any individual, nonprofit or profit corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship, or other type of business organization.
(6) "Requester" means the person making a request for records.
(1) Requests for access to records shall be directed as follows:
(a) All records requests by an inmate or offender under the jurisdiction of the Department shall be directed to:
(i) For all inmates: Institutional Operations Division, Primary Records Officer, Utah State Prison, P.O. Box 250, Draper, Utah 84020; or
(ii) For all probationers and parolees: Adult Probation and Parole Division, Primary Records Officer, Administration, 14717 Minuteman Drive, Draper, Utah 84020.
(b) All records requests by persons to obtain information for a story or report for publication or broadcast to the general public shall be directed to the Public Information Officer, 14717 Minuteman Drive, Draper, Utah 84020.
(c) All requests for access to records by persons other than those specified in subparagraphs (a) and (b) above, shall be directed to the Records Bureau, 14717 Minuteman Drive, Draper, Utah 84020.
(d) All requests from governmental agencies shall be directed to the appropriate unit of the Department, as approved by the Records Bureau or specified in Departmental policy.
(2) The time limits dictated by GRAMA Section 63G-2-204, of the Utah Code, for response to requests shall be calculated based on receipt of a valid request at the office specified in this rule.
(3) Written requests may be submitted electronically. Evidence of identity, where required, shall be based upon accepted State standards for electronic identification.
(1) All records requests from inmates shall be submitted on the Utah State Prison Inmate GRAMA Records Request Form supplied by the Department.
(2) Records requests by inmates at the Utah State Prison or the Central Utah Correctional Facility must be accompanied by a Money Transfer Form which authorizes a deduction for fees from the inmate's account or a proper request for a waiver of fees.
(3) Inmates requesting a fee waiver because of a claimed indigent status, or other reason, shall state the claim on the request form.
criminal records, corrections, GRAMA, government records
March 26, 2014
March 19, 2019
63A-12-104(2); 63G-2-204; 64-13-10; 46-4-501; 46-4-502
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R251, please contact the promulgating agency (Corrections, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.