Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R251. Corrections, Administration.
Rule R251-702. Inmate Communication: Telephones.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R251-702-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R251-702-2. Definitions.
- R251-702-3. Policy.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by Sections 63G-3-201 and 64-13-10, of the Utah Code.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide the policy, procedures, and requirements for the use of and access to inmate communication systems in the Department's prison facilities.
(1) "Collect" means a billing process which allows a call to be billed to the receiver of a call.
(2) "Department" means Utah Department of Corrections.
(3) "Emergency" means a death or life-threatening illness or accident of an immediate family member.
(4) "Legal call" means calls made to the courts, attorneys or other approved legal advisor.
(5) "Members" means Utah Department of Corrections employees.
It is the policy of the Department that:
(1) calls made on institutional telephones designated for general inmate use may be intercepted, tape-recorded and monitored;
(2) members shall not monitor inmate legal calls;
(3) inmates who intend to call an attorney shall notify members in order to obtain access to a telephone that will not be monitored;
(4) legal calls should not exceed thirty minutes;
(5) attorney/representatives desiring to speak with an inmate client may leave a message, and the inmate may be allowed to return the call using the legal access procedure outlined;
(6) inmates are not allowed to receive incoming calls; and
(7) inmate calls shall be billed collect except in a case of verifiable emergency.
corrections, inmates, prisons, telephones
June 6, 1997
December 4, 2015
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R251, please contact the promulgating agency (Corrections, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.