Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-108. Annual Assurance of Compliance by Local School Boards.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-108-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-108-2. Definitions.
- R277-108-3. Incorporation of Annual Assurances of Compliance.
- R277-108-4. Assurance Document Creation and Availability.
- R277-108-5. Process, Procedures, and Penalties.
- R277-108-6. Reporting Deadlines.
- R277-108-7. Record Retention.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board; and
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law and allows the Board to interrupt disbursements of state aid to any district which fails to comply with rules adopted in accordance with the law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide local school boards with a list of laws requiring local school board action and a means of assuring that local boards are in compliance.
(1) "Assurance document" means the Annual Assurances of Compliance list outlined in Subsection R277-108-3.
(1) This rule incorporates by reference the Local Education Agency (LEA) Compliance and Assurance Checklist for 2018-2019 School Year (09/06/2018), which lists the required state and federal compliance information for identified programs and funds, including:
(a) Board Rule;
(b) State statute;
(c) Federal Code of Regulations; and
(d) Federal Law.
(2) A copy of the current Annual Assurances of Compliance List is located at:
(a) https://www.schools.utah.gov/financialoperations/formsapplications?mid=2382&tid=2; and
(b) the Utah State Board of Education - 250 East 500 South, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111.
(1) The Superintendent shall provide a list of laws and a list of State Board of Education Administrative Rules which require action or compliance by June 1 of each year to school district superintendents, the superintendent for the Utah School for the Deaf and the Blind and charter school directors.
(2) The list described in Subsection (1) shall be approved by the Board and shall identify laws and rules along with required compliance dates and reporting forms, if different or necessary than or in addition to the annual assurance document.
(3) The Superintendent shall consolidate all required reporting and compliance forms and provide for electronic reporting, to the extent possible and ensure the assurance document is available publicly.
(1) An LEA shall submit the required annual responses to the assurance document and other compliance forms on or before dates identified by the Board.
(2) An LEA's assurance document shall contain a signed attestation by the appropriate authority attesting to the accuracy and validity of all responses and assurances provided by an LEA.
(3) In the event that an LEA is unable to provide required assurances, compliance information or forms by required dates, an LEA shall provide to the Superintendent a written explanation of the LEA's inability and provide an anticipated submission date.
(4) An LEA's request for additional time to provide the assurance shall be reviewed by the Superintendent and accepted or rejected in a timely manner.
(5) The Superintendent shall request a written explanation from an LEA and identified schools that fail to meet the reporting and compliance deadlines and that have not provided an explanation and request for a delayed submission date.
(6) Following an opportunity to provide explanations and request a delayed submission date, an LEA and identified schools shall be notified of penalties assessed by the Board against the LEA in accordance with rule R277-114, state law, or federal law.
Responses for the assurance document from an LEA are due to the Superintendent no later than July 1 of each year.
(1) Responses to the assurance document, as required by the Board, shall be kept on file by the Superintendent for five years, together with letters of explanation and documentation of penalties, as directed by the Board.
local school boards, compliance
November 29, 2018
September 13, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.