Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-426. Definition of Private and Non-Profit Schools for Federal Program Services.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R277-426-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-426-2. Definitions.
- R277-426-3. Qualifications.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Article X, Section 3 of the Utah Constitution, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-501(3), which allows the Board to administer federal funds and to distribute them to eligible applicants; and
(c) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to define requirements that private, non-public, and non-profit schools must meet in conjunction with federal program criteria to receive services under federal laws requiring the public education system to serve students in these schools.
(1) "Data Universal Numbering System Number" or "DUNS Number" means a unique numeric identifier assigned to a single business entity by Dun and Bradstreet.
(2) "Exempt Organization Determination Letter" means a letter issued by the Internal Revenue Service, which verifies that an organization is a qualified tax-exempt entity.
For the purposes of receiving services under federal programs:
(1) "Private or non-public school" means a school which:
(a) is owned and operated by:
(i) an individual;
(ii) a religious institution;
(iii) a partnership; or
(iv) a corporation other than the State, a subdivision of the State, or the Federal government;
(b) is supported primarily by non-public funds;
(c) vests the operation and determination of its program with other than publicly-elected or appointed officials;
(d) teaches the required subjects on each grade level as designated by the Board for the same length of time as students must be taught in the public schools;
(e) is properly licensed if so required by the appropriate governmental jurisdiction;
(f) complies with any state and local ordinances and codes pertaining to the operation of that type of facility or institution; and
(g) possesses a DUNS number.
(2) "Non-profit school" means a school which:
(a) is not a part of the public school system;
(b) is operated with no intention of making a profit;
(c) does not primarily provide educational services to students enrolled in for profit residential programs;
(i) a State of Utah tax exemption number;
(ii) a DUNS number;
(iii) a United States Internal Revenue Service Employer Identification Number; and
(iv) a favorable Exempt Organization Determination Letter;
(e) teaches the required subjects on each grade level as designated by the Board for the same length of time as students must be taught in the public schools if required by the federal program;
(f) is properly licensed if so required by the appropriate governmental jurisdiction; and
(g) complies with any state or local legal requirements pertaining to the operation of that type facility or institution.
education finance, private schools
November 7, 2017
September 13, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-501(3); 53E-3-401(4)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.