Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-433. Disposal of Textbooks in the Public Schools.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R277-433-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-433-2. Definitions.
- R277-433-3. LEA Policies on Disposal of Textbooks.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution, Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Section 53G-7-606, which requires the Board to make rules providing for the disposal or reuse of useable textbooks in the public schools.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide procedures for LEA policies for the reuse or disposal of textbooks in the public schools.
(1) "LEA" includes, for purposes of this rule, the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
(2) "Textbook" means:
(a) any printed book that is required for participation in a course of instruction;
(b) printed texts approved for pilot or trial use by the State Instructional Materials Commission; or
(c) books used in classes for which textbooks are generally not adopted at the state level.
(3) "Useable textbooks" means a set of at least 25 textbooks that are not badly damaged, worn out, or outdated.
(1) Each LEA shall develop policies regarding the reuse or disposal of textbooks.
(2) An LEA's policies shall provide procedures for notification to other LEAs of available textbooks and timelines for disposal of textbooks.
(3) An LEA's policies shall provide procedures for negotiating the exchange of the textbooks.
September 21, 2017
July 19, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4); 53G-7-606
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.