Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-468. Parents Review of Public Education Curriculum and Review of Complaint Process.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R277-468-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-468-2. Definitions.
- R277-468-3. Parental Involvement with Instructional Material.
- R277-468-4. Parental Involvement Resources.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board; and
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to direct an LEA to include parents in the adoption and review of an LEA's primary instructional materials including the review of complaints specific to curriculum materials.
B. "Instructional materials" means the same as the term is defined in Section 53E-4-401.
(1) An LEA shall involve parents, who have a student who attends a school within the LEA, and instructional staff in the consideration of LEA-purchased instructional materials.
(2) An LEA shall include parents, who have a student who attends a school within the LEA, in reviewing complaints specific to instructional materials.
(3) An LEA may seek assistance from parent organizations or associations or other groups to recruit and select parent members for the purposes described in subsection (1) and (2).
(1) An LEA may request the Board provide the LEA resources for effective parent participation in the instructional materials review or complaint process.
(2) An LEA may request the Board assist the LEA in policy development regarding parental involvement in the instructional materials review or complaint process.
parents, committees, curriculum, complaints
December 10, 2019
October 7, 2019
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(3)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.