Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since April 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-484. Data Standards.
As in effect on April 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-484-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-484-2. Definitions.
- R277-484-3. Deadlines for Data Submission.
- R277-484-4. Adjustments to Deadlines.
- R277-484-5. Official Data Source and Required LEA Compatibility.
- R277-484-6. Adjustments to Summary Statistics Based on Compliance Audits.
- R277-484-7. Financial Consequences of Failure to Submit Reports on Time.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Section 53A-1-401, which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law;
(c) Subsection 53A-1-401(8)(a), which allows the Board to take corrective action against an education entity that fails to comply with Board rules; and
(d) Subsection 53A-1-413(8), which requires the Board to ensure LEA inclusion of data in an LEA's Student Information System.
(2) The Superintendent is required to perform certain data collection related duties essential to the operation of statewide educational accountability and financial systems as mandated in state and federal law.
(3) The purpose of this rule is to support the operation of required educational accountability and financial systems by ensuring timely submission of data by LEAs.
(1) "Annual Financial Report" means an account of LEA revenue and expenditures by source and fund sufficient to meet the reporting requirements specified in Subsections 53A-1-301(3)(d) and (e).
(2) "Annual Program Report" means an account of LEA revenue and expenditures by source and program sufficient to meet the reporting requirements specified in Subsections 53A-1-301(3)(d) and (e).
(3) "Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools" or "CACTUS" means the same as that term is defined in Subsection R277-512(1)(a).
(4) "Data Warehouse" means the database of demographic information, course taking, and test results maintained by the USOE on all students enrolled in Utah schools.
(5) "EDEN" means the Education Data Exchange Network, the mechanism by which state education agencies are mandated to submit data to the U.S. Department of Education.
(6) "LEA" includes, for purposes of this rule, the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
(7) "MSP" means Minimum School Program, the set of state supported K-12 public school funding programs.
(8) "Schools interoperability framework" or "SIF" means an open global standard for seamless, real time data transfer and usage for Utah public schools.
(9) "Student achievement backpack" has the same meaning as that term is defined in Subsection 53A-1-413(1)(d).
(10) "Student information system" or "SIS" means a student data collection system used for Utah public schools.
(11) "Utah eTranscript and Record Exchange" or "UTREx" means a system that allows individual detailed student records to be exchanged electronically between public education LEAs and the Board, and allows electronic transcripts to be sent to any post-secondary institution, private or public, in-state or out-of-state, that participates in the e-transcript service.
(12) "Utah Student Record Store" has the same meaning as that term is defined in Subsection 53A-1-413(1)(e).
(13) "Year" means both the school year and the fiscal year for a Utah LEA, which runs from July 1 through June 30.
(1) An LEA shall submit student level data to the Board through UTREx.
(2) An LEA shall by 5:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time on the date specified in Table 1 submit reports in the format specified by the Superintendent.
(3) If a deadline in Table 1 falls on a weekend or state holiday in a given year, an LEA shall submit the report on the next business day following the date specified in Table 1.
TABLE 1 Reporting Deadlines Report Deadline Adult Education - Final Report - Prior Year July 15 Adult Education - Final Audit Report - Prior Year September 15 Annual Assurance Letter - R277-108 October 1 Annual Financial Report - Prior Year October 1 Annual Program Report - Prior Year October 1 Bus Driver Credentials Report - Current Year December 15 Bus Inventory Report July 15 CACTUS - Final Update - Current Year June 29 CACTUS - Midyear Update - Current Year November 15 Charter School Projections September 15 Classified Personnel Report - Prior Year July 15 Community Development and Renewal Agency Representative List February 28 Driver Education Report - Prior Year July 15 Emergency Preparedness Compliance Statement - Prior Year July 1 Emergency Response Plan - Prior Year July 1 Enrollment and Transfer Student Documentation Audit - Current Year November 1 ESEA Choice and Supplemental Services Report - Prior Year July 15 Financial Audit Report - Prior Year November 30 Fire Drill Compliance Statement - Prior Year July 1 Free and Reduced Price Lunch October 31 Enrollment Survey - Current Year November 15 Home Schooled Students Report - Prior Year July 15 Immunization Status Report (to Utah Department of Health) - Final June 15 Immunization Status Report - Current Year November 1 LEA Budget - Next Fiscal Year July 15 LEA Budget - Next Fiscal Year - Planned Truth in Taxation Process August 15 Membership Audit Report - Prior Year September 15 Negotiations Report - Current Year November 1 Other Emergency (Earthquake and School Violence) Drills Compliance Statement - Prior Year July 1 Pupil Transportation - Schedule A1 (Miles, Minutes, Students Report) - Current Year Projected November 1 Pupil Transportation Schedule B (Miscellaneous Expenditure Report) - Prior Year November 1 Pupil Transportation Statistics Year End Report- Prior Year July 15 Redevelopment Agency Taxing Entity Committee Representative List February 28 UTREx - Complete December 1 Update - Current Year December 10 UTREx - Complete October 1 Update - Current Year October 10 UTREx - Revised December 1 Update - Current Year - Significant Errors Identified by the Superintendent or LEA December 15 UTREx - Revised October 1 Update - Current Year Significant Errors Identified by the Superintendent or LEA October 15 UTREx - Final Comprehensive Update - Prior Year July 7
(1) An LEA may seek an extension of a deadline to ensure continuation of funding and provide more accurate information to allocation formulas by submitting a written request to the Superintendent no later than 24 hours before the specified deadline in Table 1.
(2) An extension request shall include:
(a) The reasons for the extension request;
(b) The signatures of the LEA business administrator and superintendent or director; and
(c) The date by which the LEA proposes to submit the report.
(3) If an LEA requests an extension under Subsection (1), the Superintendent may do any of the following after taking into consideration the pattern of LEA compliance with reporting deadlines and the urgency of the need for the data to be submitted:
(a) Approve the request and allow the MSP fund transfer process to continue; or
(b) Deny the request and stop the MSP fund transfer process; or
(c) Recommend corrective action to the Board in accordance with Rule R277-114.
(4) If, after receiving an extension, an LEA fails to submit the report by the designated date, the MSP fund transfer process shall be stopped and the procedures described in Section R277-484-7 shall apply.
(5) An extension shall apply only to the specific reports and dates for which an extension was requested.
(6) The Superintendent may not extend deadlines for the following reports:
(c) Mid-year or Final CACTUS updates;
(d) a Financial Audit Report; or
(e) any UTREx updates.
(1) The Superintendent shall load operational data collections into the Data Warehouse as of the submission deadlines specified.
(2) The Data Warehouse shall be the sole official source of data for annual:
(a) school performance reports required under Section 53A-3-602.5;
(b) determination of state and federal accountability reports; and
(c) submission of data files to the U.S. Department of Education via EDEN.
(3)(a) An LEA shall use an SIS approved by the Superintendent to ensure compatibility with Board data collection systems.
(b) The Superintendent shall maintain a list of approved student information systems.
(4) Prior to the Superintendent granting approval for an LEA to initiate or replace a student information system that was not previously approved, the LEA shall:
(a) send written request for approval to the Superintendent no later than November 15 of the year prior to the year the LEA proposes to use the SIS for production software;
(b) submit documentation to the Superintendent that the new or modified student information system is SIF certified;
(c) submit documentation to the Superintendent that an SIF agent can meet the UTREx specifications profile for Vertical Reporting Framework (VRF) and eTranscripts;
(d) ensure that a new student information system can generate valid data collection by submitting an actual file to the Superintendent for review;
(e) ensure that the new student information system can generate the Statewide Student Identifier (SSID) request file by submitting an actual file to the Superintendent for review.
(5)(a) The Superintendent shall review documentation and grant or deny an LEA submission under Subsection (4) within 30 calendar days.
(b) An approved replacement system shall run in parallel to a state-approved system for a period of at least three months and be able to generate duplicate reports to previously generated information.
(6) An LEA shall submit daily updates to the Board Clearinghouse using all School Interoperability Framework (SIF) objects defined in the UTREx Clearinghouse specification.
(7) An LEA shall electronically submit all public high school transcripts requested by a public education post-secondary school if the post-secondary school is capable of receiving transcripts through the electronic transcript service designated by the Superintendent.
(8) No later than June 30, 2017, an LEA shall ensure that data collected in the Utah Student Record Store for a Student Achievement Backpack is integrated into the LEA's SIS and is made available to a student's parent or guardian and an authorized LEA user in an easily accessible viewing format.
(9) Failure to comply with any of the requirements of this Section R277-484-5 may result in a recommendation for corrective action in accordance with Rule R277-114.
(1) For the purpose of allocating MSP funds and projecting enrollment, the Superintendent may modify LEA level aggregate membership and fall enrollment counts on the basis of the values in the Membership and Enrollment audit reports, respectively, when an audit report review team agrees that an adjustment is warranted by the evidence of an audit.
(2) An audit report review team shall make a determination under Subsection (1) within 60 working days of the authorized audit report deadline.
(3) The Superintendent may only adjust values downward if an audit report is received after an authorized deadline.
(1) If an LEA fails to submit a report by its deadline as specified in Table 1, consistent with procedures outlined in R277-114, the Superintendent may recommend corrective action, including stopping the LEA's MSP funds transfer process, unless the LEA has obtained an extension of the deadline in accordance with the procedure described in Section R277-484-4.
(2) The Superintendent may recommend loss of up to 1.0 WPU from Kindergarten or Grades 1-12 programs, depending on the grade level and aggregate membership of the student, in the current year Mid Year Update for each student whose prior year immunization status was not accounted for in accordance with Utah Code 53A-11-301 as of June 15.
data standards, reports, deadlines
August 7, 2017
June 6, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53A-1-301(3)(d) and (e); 53A-1-401; 53A-1-401(8)(a); 53A-1-413(8)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.