Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-498. Grant for Math Teaching Training.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-498-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-498-2. Definitions.
- R277-498-3. Board Procedures for Distributing Funds.
- R277-498-4. Criteria for Awarding Grants.
- R277-498-5. Accountability and Documentation.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision of public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to adopt rules in accordance with its responsibilities; and
(c) Subsection 53F-5-205(2), which directs the Board to make rules to provide criteria to award a grant related to mathematics education.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to establish criteria to award a grant to:
(a) support and encourage prospective educators to earn mathematics endorsements; and
(b) assist an experienced mathematics teacher in becoming a teacher leader.
(1) "Comprehensive Administration of Credentials for Teachers in Utah Schools" or "CACTUS" means the electronic file maintained on all licensed Utah educators that includes:
(a) personal directory information;
(b) educational background;
(d) employment history; and
(e) a record of disciplinary action taken against the educator.
(2) "Endorsements in mathematics" means one or more endorsements in the mathematics teaching field that:
(a) qualify an educator or prospective educator to teach a specific or specific level of mathematics course; and
(b) is indicated by a notation on the educator's CACTUS record.
(3) "Grantee" or "prospective grantee" means:
(a) an institution of higher education; or
(b) a nonprofit educational organization.
(4) "Matching funds" means funds provided by the grant recipient in order to receive state funds under Section 53F-5-205.
(1) The Superintendent shall select a grantee that meets the criteria of Section 53F-5-205 and the criteria of this rule from requests submitted by a prospective grantee.
(2) The Superintendent shall notify a selected grantee of its eligibility to receive funds under this program following:
(a) review of the request; and
(b) the assurance of matching funds.
(3) The Superintendent may identify one eligible and qualified grantee and establish a funding schedule to distribute funds or allow a prospective grantee to submit an application until March 30.
(4) The Superintendent, under the direction of the Board, shall distribute the appropriation provided for in Section 53F-5-205 by June 30.
(1) The Superintendent shall consider the amount or percent of matching funds that a prospective grantee offers.
(2) The Superintendent shall determine that the prospective grantee requesting funds under Section 53F-5-205 shall use the funds consistent with Section 53F-5-205.
(1) The Superintendent shall maintain records of the distribution of funds to a grantee that requests funds provided under Section 53F-5-205 and this rule.
(2) The recipient of funds under Section 53F-5-205 shall maintain documentation of the matching funds offered by the grantee that established the grantee's eligibility.
(3) Both the Superintendent and the eligible grantee shall maintain documentation of:
(a) the number of prospective educators and the relevant training received from funding provided by Section 53F-5-205; or
(b) the number of experienced mathematics teachers and the relevant training received from funding provided by Section 53F-5-205.
grants, educators, math teaching training
October 8, 2015
August 13, 2015
Art X, Sec 3; 53E-3-401(3); 53F-5-205(2)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.