Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-519. Educator Professional Learning Procedures and USBE Credit.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-519-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-519-2. Definitions.
- R277-519-3. Professional Learning Requirements for Course Submission.
- R277-519-4. USBE Professional Learning Credit.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-501(1)(a), which allows the Board to make rules regarding the qualifications of personnel providing direct student services and the certification of educators; and
(c) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to establish definitions and standards for awarding USBE credit for professional learning.
"Professional learning" has the same meaning as provided in Subsection 53G-11-303(1).
(1) The Superintendent shall approve proposals for USBE professional learning.
(2) A professional learning proposal described in Subsection (1) shall include:
(a) a description of how the proposal provides fidelity to the professional learning standards as provided in Section 53G-11-303;
(b) a descriptive outline of the professional learning;
(c) a schedule of meeting dates and times; and
(d) professional qualifications of each instructor.
(3) An LEA or other organization approved by the Superintendent shall request approval for USBE professional learning credit through the online professional learning system connected to the online Board certification system.
(4) An LEA or other organization approved by the Superintendent shall make a request under Subsection (3) at least one week prior to the beginning of the scheduled professional learning.
(1) The Superintendent shall award USBE credit upon completion of professional learning as follows:
(a) one-half credit for seven to thirteen contact hours plus a two hour assigned learning task or reflection;
(b) one credit for fourteen to twenty contact hours plus a four hour assigned learning task or reflection;
(2) Total credit for a professional learning course may not exceed 3 credits.
teacher certification, professional competency
January 9, 2018
February 14, 2017
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-501(1)(a); 53E-3-401(4)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.