Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-521. National Board Certification Reimbursement.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-521-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-521-2. Definitions.
- R277-521-3. Application Procedures.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Section 53F-5-202, which requires the Board to make rules to specify procedures and timelines for reimbursing educators for the cost to attain or renew a National Board certification.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to specify procedures and timelines for reimbursing educators for the cost to attain or renew a National Board certification.
(1) "Eligible educator" means an educator who holds a current National Board certification attained or renewed:
(a) after July 1, 2016; and
(b) while employed as an educator by an LEA in Utah.
(2) "Local education agency" or "LEA" means:
(a) a school district;
(b) a charter school; or
(c) the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind.
(3) "National Board certification" means the same as that term is defined in Section 53E-6-102.
(1) The Superintendent shall establish and maintain an online application system for National Board certification reimbursements.
(2) To receive reimbursement for the costs an eligible educator paid to attain or renew a National Board certification, an eligible educator shall submit an application through the application system established under Subsection (1).
(3)(a) The Superintendent shall annually determine the number of eligible educators based on legislative appropriations and costs associated with obtaining national board certification.
(b) The Superintendent shall reimburse eligible educators on a first come, first served basis.
(4) The Superintendent may not reimburse an eligible educator for costs incurred in obtaining or renewing national board certification that were previously paid or reimbursed to the educator by a third party.
eligible educators, National Board certification
May 8, 2018
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4); 53F-5-202
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.