Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-528. Use of Public Education Job Enhancement Program (PEJEP) Funds.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-528-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-528-2. Definitions.
- R277-528-3. PEJEP Participants.
- R277-528-4. University Program Eligibility.
- R277-528-5. Evaluation.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Article X, Section 3 of the Utah Constitution, which places general control and supervision of public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4) which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state;
(c) Subsection 53F-2-514(3)(c)(ii) which requires the Board to make a rule that provides for repayment of a portion of the initial payment by the teacher if the teacher fails to complete the university program with exceptions; and
(d) Subsection 53F-2-514(5)(b) which directs the Board to develop criteria for PEJEP awards.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to provide standards and procedures for ongoing participation in PEJEP.
(1) "Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation" or "(CAEP)" is a nationally recognized organization that accredits professional teacher education programs in institutions offering baccalaureate and graduate degrees for K-12 teachers.
(2) "PEJEP award" means an award granted to an eligible PEJEP participant pursuant to Section 53F-2-514 and R277-528.
(3) "PEJEP Participant" means a qualified teacher with an approved application pursuant to Section 53F-2-514 and R277-528;
(4) "Public Education Job Enhancement Program (PEJEP)" means the program authorized under Subsection 53F-2-514(2).
(1) If an application is filed on behalf of a qualified teacher pursuant to Subsection 53F-2-514(3)(a) and approved by the Superintendent, the PEJEP participant shall:
(a) commit to required courses for advanced degrees and endorsements consistent with Subsection 53F-2-514(2);
(b) provide documentation annually, by October 1, to the Superintendent, demonstrating full-time employment as an educator during the previous school year;
(c) notify the Superintendent of the participant's satisfaction of the participant's four year teaching commitment as described by Subsection 53F-2-514(3); and
(d) provide required documentation to receive textbook reimbursements which will be reimbursed directly to the PEJEP participant by the Superintendent.
(2) If a PEJEP participant changes employers, leaves public education, or moves from the state, the Superintendent may require repayment or partial repayment, consistent with Subsection 53F-2-514(3).
(1) A university program that provides licensure and endorsements in the areas outlined in Subsection 53F-2-514(2) and meets the criteria of this section shall be eligible to receive tuition reimbursement for a PEJEP participant.
(2) To be an eligible university program, the university shall:
(a) be a Utah institution of higher education;
(b) provide documentation to the Superintendent of the university's program accreditation by CAEP; and
(c) provide to the Superintendent an overview of the university's endorsement program including:
(i) program requirements and eligibility standards for participants;
(ii) a screening process for prospective participants;
(iii) course syllabi; and
(iv) a yearly evaluation of the program.
(3) The Superintendent may determine the eligibility of a university's program on an annual basis.
(4) The Superintendent shall reimburse tuition directly to an eligible university's program for a PEJEP participant.
(1) The Superintendent shall maintain records of PEJEP award participants.
(2) The Superintendent shall prepare an annual report for the Board that demonstrates use of PEJEP funding consistent with Section 53F-2-514 and.
August 19, 2019
February 8, 2019
Art X Sec 3; 53F-2-514; 53E-3-401(4)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.