Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-532. Local Board Policies for Evaluation of Non-Licensed Public Education Employees (Classified Employees).
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-532-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-532-2. Definitions.
- R277-532-3. School District Policies.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision of public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Section 53G-11-504, which directs the Board to develop rules requiring that school districts evaluate non-licensed public education employees.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to direct public school districts to adopt policies for the evaluation, dismissal and compensation of non-licensed public education employees.
"Non-licensed public education employee" or "classified employee" means a school district employee who is working in a position that does not require a Utah educator license.
(1) A school district shall adopt policies for non-licensed public education employees, including:
(a) policies for evaluation and dismissal consistent with minimum standards of:
(i) Sections 53G-11-504 through 53G-11-505; and
(ii) Sections 53G-11-512 through 53G-11-517; and
(b) policies for due process and the termination of non-licensed public education employees consistent with Sections 53G-11-512 through 53G-11-515;
(c) evaluation procedures with the following components:
(i) the annual evaluation of non-licensed public education employees;
(ii) the use of appropriate tools for non-licensed public education employee evaluations;
(iii) non-licensed public education employee evaluation criteria tied to specific non-licensed job descriptions or assignments;
(iv) the administration of the evaluation by the school principal, an appropriate administrator or the principal's or administrator's designee; and
(v) an appeals process that allows non-licensed public education employees to appeal procedural violations of the evaluation process.
(2) School district evaluation policies for non-licensed public education employees may include additional components beyond those specified in Subsection (1).
(3) A school district's policies may exclude temporary or part-time non-licensed public education employees from performance evaluations, as provided in Subsection 53G-11-504(2).
policies, evaluations, non-licensed public education employees
May 8, 2018
April 2, 2018
Art X, Sec 3; 53E-3-401; 53G-11-504
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.