Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Office of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since February 1, 2018, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-750. Education Programs for Students with Disabilities.
As in effect on February 1, 2018
Table of Contents
- R277-750-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-750-2. Incorporation of Special Education Rules Manual by Reference.
- R277-750-3. Standards and Procedures.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53A-1-402(1), which directs the Board to adopt rules regarding services for persons with disabilities;
(c) Title 53A, Chapter 15, Part 3, Education of Children with Disabilities, which requires the Board to adopt rules regarding educational services to students with disabilities; and
(d) Section 53A-1-401 which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to specify standards and procedures for special education programs.
(1) This rule incorporates by reference the Special Education Rules manual dated October 2016, which establishes policies and procedures for:
(a) appropriate and timely identification of a student with a disability;
(b) evaluation and classification of a student with a disability by qualified personnel;
(c) standards for services provided to a student with a disability;
(d) provision for multi-district programs for a student with a disability;
(e) provision for delivery of service responsibilities;
(f) certification and qualifications for instructional staff; and
(g) the state's implementation of federal special education programs, including IDEA.
(2) A copy of the manual is located at:
(a) https://www.schools.utah.gov/specialeducation/resources/lawsrulesregulations; and
(b) the Utah State Board of Education.
(1) The Board adopts and hereby incorporates by reference the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004, 20 U.S.C., 1400 as the Board's rules for students with disabilities.
(2) The Superintendent and LEAs shall provide services to a student with a disability in accordance with:
(a) Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 U.S.C.A. 794, incorporated by reference in R277-112;
(b) this rule;
(c) the Special Education Rules, August 2016, included in the Special Education Rules manual described in R277-750-2; and
(d) the annual Utah State Federal Application under Part B of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act as amended in 2004.
October 11, 2016
August 15, 2016
Art X Sec 3; Title 15, Part 3; 53A-1-402(1); 53A-1-401
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at https://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html.