Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-910. Underage Drinking Prevention Program.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-910-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-910-2. Criteria for Selecting a Provider.
- R277-910-3. Mandatory Offering of Underage Drinking Prevention Program.
- R277-910-4. Reporting Requirements.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Subsection 53G-10-406 which directs the Board to establish rules regarding:
(i) a requirement that an LEA offer the Underage Drinking Prevention Program each school year to each student in grade 7 or 8, and grade 9 or 10; and
(ii) the criteria for the board to use in selecting a provider for the Underage Drinking Prevention Program.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to establish the criteria for selecting a provider for the Underage Drinking Prevention Program and general requirements of an LEA when offering the program.
(1) The following criteria, along with the requirements found in 53G-10-406, shall be considered in selecting a provider for the Underage Drinking Prevention Program:
(a) a program that is evidence-based including peer reviewed journals, national registries, and research;
(b) a program that is focused on preventing underage consumption of alcohol through a curriculum, course, or program that is taught through multiple days of instruction and not a one-time presentation.
(c) a program that is delivered in the classroom by the classroom teacher or other trained professional;
(d) a program that addresses behavioral risk factors associated with underage drinking and integrates skills practice into the curriculum; and
(e) a program that aligns with the core standards of the Utah Public School system.
(2) The vendor of the Underage Drinking Prevention Program shall:
(i) have prior experience in successfully reducing underage drinking; and
(ii) be available for deployment beginning in the 2018-19 school year.
(1) An LEA shall offer to each student in grades 7 or 8 and grades 9 or 10, respectively, the Underage Drinking Prevention Program procured by the Board.
(2) An LEA shall offer the Underage Drinking Prevention Program to students of the grades in subsection (1) of this section beginning in the 2018-19 school year.
(1) An LEA shall report to the Superintendent annually regarding the general participation and deployment of the Underage Drinking Prevention Program.
(2) The report shall be made via the Annual Assurances Document described in R277-108 and shall include:
(a) if the Underage Drinking Prevention Program was offered to students each school year in grades 7 or 8 and in grades 9 or 10;
(b) the name of the course where the Underage Drinking Prevention Program was offered including if it was offered as a stand-alone course; and
(c) if the instructor has attended the one time training, including online state level training for the Underage Drinking Prevention Program.
underage drinking prevention, substance abuse, alcohol
February 7, 2019
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(4); 53G-10-406
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.