Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R277. Education, Administration.
Rule R277-912. Law Enforcement Related Incident Reporting.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R277-912-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R277-912-2. LEA Reporting Requirements.
- R277-912-3. Annual Report Content and Access.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is authorized by:
(a) Utah Constitution Article X, Section 3, which vests general control and supervision over public education in the Board;
(b) Subsection 53E-3-401(4), which allows the Board to make rules to execute the Board's duties and responsibilities under the Utah Constitution and state law; and
(c) Subsection 53E-3-516 which directs the Board to establish rules regarding a collaborative annual report meeting all the requirements of Subsection 53E-3-516(2).
(2) The purpose of this rule is to generate the report required by Subsection 53E-3-516 and the form that the report may be accessed.
(1) An LEA shall work with the Superintendent and the relevant law enforcement agencies and school personnel to collect the following incident data that occurred on school grounds while school is in session or during a school-sponsored activity:
(a) arrests of a minor;
(b) other law enforcement activities as defined in Section 53E-3-516(1);
(c) disciplinary actions as defined in section 53E-3-516(1); and
(d) all other data as outlined in subsection 53E-3-516(3) and (4).
(2) An LEA shall collect the data in a form agreed upon by the Superintendent and the relevant law enforcement agencies.
(3) An LEA shall report the data required to the Superintendent in a timely manner;
(4) Beginning in the 2020-21 school year, an LEA shall report the data compiled for each school year to the Superintendent on or before September 1st of the year in which the school year ended.
(5) An LEA shall report the data to the Superintendent as prescribed by the Superintendent.
(1) The Superintendent shall compile the data to form an aggregated report consistent with the requirements of Subsection 53E-3-516(3), (4) and (5).
(2) The report shall exclude all identifiable student information and data.
(3) The report shall be compiled no later than November 1st of each year in which the school year ended and provided to the board.
(4) An external entity may request access to the data used to compile the report consistent with Utah Code Title 63G, Chapter 2, Government Records Access Management Act.
(5) The Superintendent shall respond to the request within 15 business days and provide the report within 30 business days of the request by providing the most recent data set available at the time of the request, so long as the data set is aggregated and no student identifiable information is included in the data set.
(6) If the request is for the data being used for an upcoming report that is more than 30 days from being compiled, the Superintendent may wait longer than 30 days to provide the requested report.
incident reporting; law enforcement
February 7, 2019
Art X Sec 3; 53E-3-401(3); 53E-3-516
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R277, please contact the promulgating agency (Education, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.