Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULE FILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R307. Environmental Quality, Air Quality.
Rule R307-207. Residential Fireplaces and Solid Fuel Burning Devices.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R307-207-1. Purpose and Definition.
- R307-207-2. Applicability.
- R307-207-3. Opacity for Residential Heating.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
R307-207 establishes emission standards for residential fireplaces and solid fuel burning devices.
"Solid fuel burning device" means any device used for burning wood, coal, or any other nongaseous and non-liquid fuel, including, but not limited to, wood stoves, but excluding outdoor wood boilers, which are regulated under R307-208.
(1) R307-207 applies to residential fireplaces and solid fuel burning devices in all areas of the state, except for PM10 and PM2.5 nonattainment and maintenance areas. R307-302 applies to PM10 and PM2.5 nonattainment or maintenance areas.
Visible emissions from residential solid fuel burning devices and fireplaces shall be limited to a shade or density no darker than 20% opacity as measured by EPA Method 9, except for the following:
(1) An initial fifteen minute start-up period, and
(2) A period of fifteen minutes in any three-hour period in which emissions may exceed the 20% opacity limitation for refueling.
fireplaces, residential, solid fuel burning
November 8, 2012
December 9, 2019
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R307, please contact the promulgating agency (Environmental Quality, Air Quality). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from https://rules.utah.gov/help-rules-who-to-contact/.