Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since July 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R307. Environmental Quality, Air Quality.
Rule R307-357. Consumer Products.
As in effect on July 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R307-357-1. Purpose.
- R307-357-2. Applicability.
- R307-357-3. Definitions.
- R307-357-4. Standards.
- R307-357-5. Charcoal Lighter Material Products.
- R307-357-6. Exemptions.
- R307-357-7. Innovative Products.
- R307-357-8. Alternate Control Plan (ACP).
- R307-357-9. Variances.
- R307-357-10. Administrative Requirements.
- R307-357-11. Reporting Requirements.
- R307-357-12. Special Reporting Requirements for Consumer Products that Contain Perchloroethylene or Methylene Chloride.
- R307-357-13. Test Methods.
- R307-357-14. VOC Content Determinations Using Product Formulation and Records.
- R307-357-15. Determination of Liquid or Solid.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
The purpose of this rule is to reduce volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions from consumer products.
R307-357 applies to any person who sells, supplies, offers for sale, distributes for sale, or manufactures for sale consumer products on or after the effective date in Table 1 for use in Box Elder, Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Tooele, Utah, and Weber counties.
The following additional definitions apply to R307-357:
"Adhesive" means any product that is used to bond one surface to another by attachment.
(1) Adhesive does not include products used on humans and animals, adhesive tape, contact paper, wallpaper, shelf liners, or any other product with an adhesive incorporated onto or in an inert substrate.
(2) For contact adhesive, construction, panel, and floor covering adhesive and general purpose adhesive only, adhesive also does not include units of product, less packaging, which consist of more than one gallon. This limitation does not apply to aerosol adhesives.
"Adhesive remover" means a product designed exclusively for the removal of adhesives, caulk and other bonding materials from either a specific substrate or a variety of substrates.
"Aerosol adhesive" means an aerosol product in which the spray mechanism is permanently housed in a nonrefillable can designed for hand-held application without the need for ancillary hoses or spray equipment.
"Aerosol cooking spray" means any aerosol product designed to reduce sticking on cooking and baking surfaces and is applied on cooking surfaces, baking surfaces, or food.
"Aerosol Product" means a pressurized spray system that dispenses product ingredients by means of a propellant or mechanically induced force but does not include pump sprays.
"Agricultural use" means the use of any pesticide or method or device for the control of pests in connection with the commercial production, storage or processing of any animal or plant crop.
(1) Agricultural use does not include the sale or use of pesticides in properly labeled packages or containers which are intended for:
(a) Home use;
(b) Use in structural pest control;
(c) Industrial; or
(d) Institutional use.
(2) For the purposes of this definition only:
(a) "Home use" means use in a household or its immediate environment.
(b) "Structural pest control" means a use requiring a license under state or federal pesticide licensing requirements.
(c) "Industrial use" means use for or in a manufacturing, mining, or chemical process or use in the operation of factories, processing plants, and similar sites.
(d) "Institutional use" means use within the lines of, or on property necessary for the operation of buildings such as hospitals, schools, libraries, auditoriums, and office complexes.
"Air freshener" means any product, including, but not limited to, sprays, wicks, wipes, diffusers, powders, and crystals, designed for the purpose of masking odors, or freshening, cleaning, scenting, or deodorizing the air.
(1) Air freshener does not include products that are used on the human body, products that function primarily as cleaning products as indicated on the product label, or odor remover/eliminator products.
"All other carbon containing compounds" means all other compounds which contain at least one carbon atom and are not a VOC defined compound or a LVP-VOC.
"All other forms" means all consumer product forms for which no form specific VOC standard is specified, and unless specified otherwise by the applicable VOC standard, all other forms include, but are not limited to, solids, liquids, wicks, powders, crystals, and cloth or paper wipes (towelettes).
"Antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap" means a cleaner or soap which is designed to reduce the level of microorganisms on the skin through germicidal activity.
(1) Antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap includes, but is not limited to:
(a) Antimicrobial hand or body washes and cleaners;
(b) Foodhandler hand washes;
(c) Healthcare personnel hand washes;
(d) Pre-operative skin preparations; and
(e) Surgical scrubs.
(2) Antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap does not include prescription drug products, antiperspirants, astringent/toner, deodorant, facial cleaner or soap, general-use hand or body cleaner or soap, hand dishwashing detergent (including antimicrobial), heavy-duty hand cleaner or soap, medicated astringent/medicated toner, or rubbing alcohol.
"Antiperspirant" means any product including, but not limited to, aerosols, roll-ons, sticks, pumps, pads, creams, and squeeze bottles, that is intended by the manufacturer to be used to reduce perspiration in the human axilla by at least 20 percent in at least 50 percent of a target population.
"Anti-static product" means a product that is labeled to eliminate, prevent, or inhibit the accumulation of static electricity.
"Architectural coating" means a coating applied to stationary structures and their appurtenances, to mobile homes, to pavements, or to curbs.
"ASTM" means the American Society for Testing and Materials.
"Astringent/toner" means any product not regulated as a drug by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which is applied to the skin for the purpose of cleaning or tightening pores.
(1) This category also includes clarifiers and substrate-impregnated products.
(2) This category does not include any hand, face, or body cleaner or soap product, medicated astringent/medicated toner, cold cream, lotion, or antiperspirant.
"Automotive hard paste wax" means an automotive wax or polish that is:
(1) Designed to protect and improve the appearance of automotive paint surfaces;
(2) A solid at room temperature; and
(3) Contains 0% water by formulation.
"Automotive instant detailer" means a product designed for use in a pump spray that is applied to the painted surface of automobiles and wiped off prior to the product being allowed to dry.
"Automotive rubbing or polishing compound" means a product designed primarily to remove oxidation, old paint, scratches or "swirl marks," and other defects from the painted surfaces of motor vehicles without leaving a protective barrier.
"Automotive wax, polish, sealant or glaze" means a product designed to seal out moisture, increase gloss, or otherwise enhance a motor vehicle's painted surfaces.
(1) Automotive wax, polish, sealant or glaze includes, but is not limited to, products designed for use in autobody repair shops, drive-through car washes and products designed for the general public.
(2) Automotive wax, polish, sealant or glaze does not include automotive rubbing or polishing compounds, automotive wash and wax products, surfactant-containing car wash products, and products designed for use on unpainted surfaces such as bare metal, chrome, glass, or plastic.
"Automotive windshield washer fluid" means any liquid designed for use in a motor vehicle windshield washer system either as an antifreeze or for the purpose of cleaning, washing, or wetting the windshield but does not include fluids placed by the manufacturer in a new vehicle.
"Bait station insecticide" means containers enclosing an insecticidal bait that is not more than 0.5 ounce by weight, where the bait is designed to be ingested by insects and is composed of solid material feeding stimulants with less than 5% active ingredients.
"Bathroom and tile cleaner" means a product designed to clean tile or surfaces in bathrooms but does not include products specifically designed to clean toilet bowls or toilet tanks.
"Brake cleaner" means a cleaning product designed to remove oil, grease, brake fluid, brake pad material or dirt from motor vehicle brake mechanisms.
"Bug and tar remover" means a product designed to remove either or both of the following from painted motor vehicle surfaces without causing damage to the finish:
(1) Biological-type residues such as insect carcasses and tree sap; and
(2) Road grime, such as road tar, roadway paint markings, and asphalt.
"CARB" means the California Air Resources Board.
"Carburetor or fuel-injection air intake cleaners" means a product designed to remove fuel deposits, dirt, or other contaminants from a carburetor, choke, throttle body of a fuel-injection system, or associated linkages but does not include products designed exclusively to be introduced directly into the fuel lines or fuel storage tank prior to introduction into the carburetor or fuel injectors.
"Carpet and upholstery cleaner" means a cleaning product designed for the purpose of eliminating dirt and stains on rugs, carpeting, the interior of motor vehicles, household furniture, or objects upholstered or covered with fabrics such as wool, cotton, nylon or other synthetic fabrics.
(1) Carpet and upholstery cleaner includes, but is not limited to, products that make fabric protectant claims.
(2) Carpet and upholstery cleaner does not include general purpose cleaners, spot removers, vinyl or leather cleaners, dry cleaning fluids, or products designed exclusively for use at industrial facilities engaged in furniture or carpet manufacturing.
"Charcoal lighter material" means any combustible material designed to be applied on, incorporated in, added to, or used with charcoal to enhance ignition.
"Colorant" means any pigment or coloring material used in a consumer product for an aesthetic effect, or to dramatize an ingredient.
"Construction, panel, and floor covering adhesive" means any one component adhesive that is designed exclusively for the installation, remodeling, maintenance, or repair of:
(1) Structural and building components that include, but are not limited to, beams, trusses, studs, paneling (drywall or drywall laminates, fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), plywood, particle board, insulation board, pre-decorated hardboard or tileboard, etc.), ceiling and acoustical tile, molding, fixtures, countertops or countertop laminates, cove or wall bases, and flooring or subflooring; or
(2) Floor or wall coverings that include, but are not limited to, wood or simulated wood covering, carpet, carpet pad or cushion, vinyl backed carpet, flexible flooring material, nonresilient flooring material, mirror tiles and other types of tiles, and artificial grass.
(3) Construction, panel, and floor covering adhesive does not include floor seam sealer.
"Consumer" means any person who purchases, or acquires any consumer product for personal, family, household, or institutional use, and persons acquiring a consumer product for resale are not consumers for that product.
"Consumer product" means a chemically formulated product used by household and institutional consumers including, but not limited to, detergents; cleaning compounds; polishes; floor finishes; cosmetics; personal care products; home, lawn, and garden products; disinfectants; sanitizers; aerosol paints; and automotive specialty products but does not include other paint products, furniture coatings, or architectural coatings.
"Contact adhesive" means a non-aerosol adhesive that:
(1) Is designed for application to both surfaces to be bonded together;
(2) Is allowed to dry before the two surfaces are placed in contact with each other;
(3) Forms an immediate bond that is impossible, or difficult, to reposition after both adhesive-coated surfaces are placed in contact with each other; and
(4) Does not need sustained pressure or clamping of surfaces after the adhesive-coated surfaces have been brought together using sufficient momentary pressure to establish full contact between both surfaces.
(5) Contact adhesive does not include rubber cements that are primarily intended for use on paper substrates.
(6) Contact adhesive does not include vulcanizing fluids that are designed and labeled for tire repair only.
"Container/packaging" means the part or parts of the consumer or institutional product which serve only to contain, enclose, incorporate, deliver, dispense, wrap or store the chemically formulated substance or mixture of substances which is solely responsible for accomplishing the purposes for which the product was designed or intended and includes any article onto or into which the principal display panel and other accompanying literature or graphics are incorporated, etched, printed or attached.
"Crawling bug insecticide" means any insecticide product that is designed for use against ants, cockroaches, or other household crawling arthropods, including, but not limited to, mites, silverfish or spiders but does not include products designed to be used exclusively on humans or animals, or any house dust mite product.
(1) For the purposes of this definition only:
(a) "House dust mite product" means a product whose label, packaging, or accompanying literature states that the product is suitable for use against house dust mites, but does not indicate that the product is suitable for use against ants, cockroaches, or other household crawling arthropods.
(b) "House dust mite" means mites which feed primarily on skin cells shed in the home by humans and pets and which belong to the phylum Arthropoda, the subphylum Chelicerata, the class Arachnida, the subclass Acari, the order Astigmata, and the family Pyroglyphidae.
"Date-Code" means the day, month and year on which the consumer product was manufactured, filled, or packaged, or a code indicating such a date.
"Deodorant" means any product including, but not limited to, aerosols, roll-ons, sticks, pumps, pads, creams, and squeeze bottles, that is intended by the manufacturer to be used to minimize odor in the human axilla by retarding the growth of bacteria which cause the decomposition of perspiration.
"Device" means any instrument or contrivance (other than a firearm) which is designed for trapping, destroying, repelling, or mitigating any pest or any other form of plant or animal life (other than man and other than bacteria, virus, or other microorganism on or in living man or other living animals) but does not include equipment used for the application of pesticides when sold separately therefrom.
"Disinfectant" means any product that is labeled as a disinfectant or is labeled as a product that destroys or irreversibly inactivates infectious or other undesirable bacteria, pathogenic fungi, or viruses on surfaces or inanimate objects and whose label is registered as a disinfectant under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA, 7 U.S.C. 136, et seq.).
(1) Products that are labeled as both a "sanitizer" and a "disinfectant" are considered disinfectants.
(2) Disinfectant does not include any of the following:
(a) Products labeled as solely for use on human or animals;
(b) Products labeled as solely for agricultural use;
(c) Products labeled as solely for use in swimming pools, therapeutic tubs, or hot tubs;
(d) Products that are labeled to be used on heat sensitive critical or semi-critical medical devices or medical equipment surfaces;
(e) Products that are pre-moistened wipes or towelettes sold exclusively to medical, convalescent, or veterinary establishments;
(f) Products that are labeled to be applied to food-contact surfaces and are not required to be rinsed prior to contact with food; or
(g) Products labeled as bathroom and tile cleaners, glass cleaners, general purpose cleaners, metal polishes, carpet cleaners or fabric refreshers that may also make disinfecting or antimicrobial claims on the label.
"Distributor" means any person to whom a consumer product is sold or supplied for the purposes of resale or distribution in commerce, except that manufacturers, retailers, and consumers are not distributors.
"Double phase aerosol air freshener" means an aerosol air freshener with the liquid contents in two or more distinct phases that requires the product container be shaken before use to mix the phases, producing an emulsion.
"Dry cleaning fluid" means any non-aqueous liquid product designed and labeled exclusively for use on fabrics which are labeled for dry clean only, such as clothing or drapery or s-coded fabrics.
(1) Dry cleaning fluid includes, but is not limited to, those products used by commercial dry cleaners and commercial businesses that clean fabrics such as draperies at the customer's residence or work place.
(2) Dry cleaning fluid does not include spot remover or carpet and upholstery cleaner.
"Dual purpose air freshener/disinfectant" means an aerosol product that is represented on the product container for use as both a disinfectant and an air freshener or is so represented on any sticker, label, packaging, or literature attached to the product container.
"Dusting aid" means a product designed to assist in removing dust and other soils from floors and other surfaces without leaving a wax or silicone based coating but does not include products which consist entirely of compressed gases for use in electronic or other specialty areas.
"Electrical cleaner" means a product labeled as a product that removes heavy soils such as grease, grime, or oil from electrical equipment, including, but not limited to, electric motors, armatures, relays, electric panels, or generators.
(1) Electrical cleaner does not include general purpose cleaner, general purpose degreaser, dusting aid, electronic cleaner, energized electrical cleaner, pressurized gas duster, engine degreaser, anti-static product, or products designed to clean the casings or housings of electrical equipment.
"Electronic cleaner" means a product labeled as a product that removes dirt, moisture, dust, flux or oxide from the internal components of electronic or labeled as precision equipment such as circuit boards and the internal components of electronic devices, including, but not limited to, radios, compact disc players, digital video disc players, and computers.
"Engine degreaser" means a cleaning product designed to remove grease, grime, oil and other contaminants from the external surfaces of engines and other mechanical parts.
"Fabric protectant" means a product labeled as a product to be applied to fabric substrates to protect the surface from soiling from dirt and other impurities or to reduce absorption of liquid into the fabric's fibers but does not include waterproofers or products labeled for use solely on leather.
(1) Fabric protectant does not include pigmented products that are designed to be used primarily for coloring, products used for construction, reconstruction, modification, structural maintenance or repair of fabric substrates, or products that renew or restore fabric and qualifying as either clear coating or vinyl, fabric, leather, or polycarbonate coatings.
"Fabric refresher" means a product labeled to neutralize or eliminate odors on non-laundered fabric, including, but not limited to, soft household surfaces, rugs, carpeting, draperies, bedding, automotive interiors, footwear, athletic equipment, clothing or on household furniture or objects upholstered or covered with fabrics such as wool, cotton, or nylon. Fabric refresher does not include anti-static products, carpet and upholstery cleaners, footwear or leather care products, spot removers, disinfectants, or products labeled for application to both fabric and human skin.
"Facial cleaner or soap" means a cleaner or soap designed primarily to clean the face.
(1) Facial cleaner or soap includes, but is not limited to, facial cleansing creams, gels, liquids, lotions, and substrate-impregnated forms.
(2) Facial cleaner or soap does not include prescription drug products, antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap, astringent/toner, general-use hand or body cleaner or soap, medicated astringent/medicated toner, or rubbing alcohol.
"Flea and tick insecticide" means any insecticide product that is designed for use against fleas, ticks, their larvae, or their eggs but does not include products that are designed to be used exclusively on humans or animals and their bedding.
"Flexible flooring material" means asphalt, cork, linoleum, no wax, rubber, seamless vinyl and vinyl composite flooring.
"Floor polish or wax" means a product designed or labeled as a product to polish, wax, condition, protect, temporarily seal or otherwise enhance floor surfaces by leaving a protective finish that is designed or labeled to be periodically replenished.
(1) Floor polish or wax does not include spray buff products, floor wax strippers, products designed or labeled for unfinished wood floors, or coatings subject to architectural coatings regulations.
(2) Floor polish or wax is divided into three categories: products for resilient flooring materials, products for nonresilient flooring materials, and wood floor wax. For the purposes of this section:
(a) "Resilient flooring material" means flexible flooring material, including but not limited to, asphalt, cork, linoleum, no-wax, rubber, seamless vinyl, and vinyl composite flooring.
(b) "Nonresilient flooring material" means flooring of a mineral content that is not flexible, including, but not limited to, terrazzo, marble, slate, granite, brick, stone, ceramic tile, and concrete.
(c) "Wood floor wax" means wax-based products for use solely on wood floors.
"Floor seam sealer" means any product designed and labeled exclusively for bonding, fusing, or sealing (coating) seams between adjoining rolls of installed flexible sheet flooring.
"Floor wax stripper" means a product designed to remove natural or synthetic floor polishes or waxes through breakdown of the polish or wax polymers, or by dissolving or emulsifying the polish or wax but does not include aerosol floor wax strippers or products designed to remove floor wax solely through abrasion.
"Flying bug insecticide" means any insecticide product that is designed for use against flying insects or other flying arthropods, including but not limited to flies, mosquitoes, moths, or gnats.
(1) Flying bug insecticide does not include wasp and hornet insecticide, products that are designed to be used exclusively on humans or animals, or any moth-proofing product.
(2) For the purposes of this definition only, "moth-proofing product" means a product whose label, packaging, or accompanying literature indicates that the product is designed to protect fabrics from damage by moths, but does not indicate that the product is suitable for use against flying insects or other flying arthropods.
"Fragrance" means a substance or complex mixture of aroma chemicals, natural essential oils, and other functional components with a combined vapor pressure not in excess of two millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) at 20 degrees Celcius, the sole purpose of which is to impart an odor or scent or to counteract a malodor.
"Furniture maintenance product" means a wax, polish, conditioner, or any other product designed for the purpose of polishing, protecting or enhancing finished wood surfaces other than floors but does not include dusting aids, products designed solely for the purpose of cleaning, and products designed to leave a permanent finish such as stains, sanding sealers and lacquers.
"Furniture coating" means any paint designed for application to room furnishings including, but not limited to, cabinets (kitchen, bath and vanity), tables, chairs, beds, and sofas.
"Gel" means a colloid in which the disperse phase has combined with the continuous phase to produce a semisolid material, such as jelly.
"General purpose adhesive" means any non-aerosol adhesive designed for use on a variety of substrates.
(1) General purpose adhesive does not include;
(a) Contact adhesives;
(b) Construction, panel, and floor covering adhesives;
(c) Adhesives designed exclusively for application on one specific category of substrates (i.e., substrates that are composed of similar materials, such as different types of metals, paper products, ceramics, plastics, rubbers, or vinyls); or
(d) Adhesives designed exclusively for use on one specific category of articles (i.e., articles that may be composed of different materials but perform a specific function, such as gaskets, automotive trim, weather-stripping, or carpets).
"General Purpose Cleaner" means a product designed for general all-purpose cleaning, in contrast to cleaning products designed to clean specific substrates in certain situations and includes products designed for general floor cleaning, kitchen or countertop cleaning, and cleaners designed to be used on a variety of hard surfaces and does not include general purpose degreasers and electronic cleaners.
"General purpose degreaser" means any product labeled as a product that removes or dissolves grease, grime, oil and other oil-based contaminants from a variety of substrates, including automotive or miscellaneous metallic parts.
(1) General purpose degreaser does not include engine degreaser, general purpose cleaner, adhesive remover, electronic cleaner, electrical cleaner, metal polish/cleanser, oven or grill cleaner, products used exclusively in solvent cleaning tanks or related equipment, or products that are:
(a) Exclusively sold directly or through distributors to establishments that manufacture or construct goods or commodities; and
(b) Labeled for use in the manufacturing process only.
(2) Solvent cleaning tanks or related equipment includes, but is not limited to, cold cleaners, vapor degreasers, conveyorized degreasers, film cleaning machines, or products designed to clean miscellaneous metallic parts by immersion in a container.
"General-use hand or body cleaner or soap" means a cleaner or soap designed to be used routinely on the skin to clean or remove typical or common dirt and soils.
(1) General-use hand or body cleaner or soap includes, but is not limited to, hand or body washes, dual-purpose shampoo-body cleaners, shower or bath gels, and moisturizing cleaners or soaps.
(2) General-use hand or body cleaner or soap does not include prescription drug products, antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap, astringent/toner, facial cleaner or soap, hand dishwashing detergent (including antimicrobial), heavy-duty hand cleaner or soap, medicated astringent/medicated toner, or rubbing alcohol.
"Glass cleaner" means a cleaning product designed primarily for cleaning surfaces made of glass but does not include products designed solely for the purpose of cleaning optical materials used in eyeglasses, photographic equipment, scientific equipment and photocopying machines.
"Graffiti remover" means a product labeled to remove spray paint, ink, marker, crayon, lipstick, nail polish, or shoe polish from a variety of non-cloth or non-fabric substrates.
(1) Graffiti remover does not include paint remover or stripper, nail polish remover, or spot remover.
(2) Products labeled for dual use as both a paint stripper and graffiti remover are considered graffiti removers.
"Hair mousse" means a hairstyling foam designed to facilitate styling of a coiffure and provide limited holding power.
"Hair shine" means any product designed for the primary purpose of creating a shine when applied to the hair.
(1) Hair shine includes, but is not limited to, dual-use products designed primarily to impart a sheen to the hair.
(2) Hair shine does not include hair spray, hair mousse, hair styling gel or spray gel, or products whose primary purpose is to condition or hold the hair.
"Hair styling gel" means a high viscosity, often gelatinous, product that contains a resin and is designed for the application to hair to aid in styling and sculpting of the hair coiffure.
"Hair spray" means a consumer product designed primarily for the purpose of dispensing droplets of a resin on and into a hair coiffure which will impart sufficient rigidity to the coiffure to establish or retain the style for a period of time.
"Hair Styling Product" means a consumer product manufactured on or after January 1, 2009, that is designed or labeled as a product for the application to wet, damp or dry hair to aid in defining, shaping, lifting, styling or sculpting of the hair.
(1) Hair styling product includes, but is not limited to, hair balm, clay, cream, curl straightener, gel, liquid, lotion, paste, pomade, putty, root lifter, serum, spray gel, stick, temporary hair straightener, wax, spray products that aid in styling but do not provide finishing of a hairstyle, and leave-in volumizers, detanglers or conditioners that make styling claims.
(2) Hair styling product does not include hair mousse, hair shine, hair spray, or shampoos or conditioners that are rinsed from the hair prior to styling.
"Heavy-duty hand cleaner or soap" means a product designed to clean or remove difficult dirt and soils such as oil, grease, grime, tar, shellac, putty, printer's ink, paint, graphite, cement, carbon, asphalt, or adhesives from the hand with or without the use of water but does not include prescription drug products, antimicrobial hand or body cleaner or soap, astringent/toner, facial cleaner or soap, general-use hand or body cleaner or soap, medicated astringent/medicated toner, or rubbing alcohol.
"Herbicide" means a pesticide product designed to kill or retard a plant's growth, but excludes products that are:
(1) For agricultural use; or
(2) Restricted materials that require a permit for use and possession.
"High volatility organic compound (HVOC)" means any volatile organic compound that exerts a vapor pressure greater than 80 millimeters of Mercury (mm Hg) when measured at 20 degrees Celsius.
"Household product" means any consumer product that is primarily designed to be used inside or outside of living quarters or residences that are occupied or intended for occupation by individuals, including the immediate surroundings.
"Insecticide" means a pesticide product that is designed for use against insects or other arthropods, but excluding products that are:
(1) For agricultural use;
(2) For a use which requires a structural pest control license under applicable state or federal laws or regulations; or
(3) Restricted materials that require a permit for use and possession.
"Insecticide fogger" means any insecticide product designed to release all or most of its content, as a fog or mist, into indoor areas during a single application.
"Institutional product" or "Industrial and institutional (I nd I) product" means a consumer product that is designed for use in the maintenance or operation of an establishment that manufactures, transports, or sells goods or commodities, or provides services for profit or is engaged in the nonprofit promotion of a particular public, educational, or charitable cause.
(1) Establishments include, but are not limited to, government agencies, factories, schools, hospitals, sanitariums, prisons, restaurants, hotels, stores, automobile service and parts centers, health clubs, theaters, or transportation companies.
(2) Institutional product does not include household products and products that are incorporated into or used exclusively in the manufacture or construction of the goods or commodities at the site of the establishment.
"Label" means any written, printed, or graphic matter affixed to, applied to, attached to, blown into, formed, molded into, embossed on, or appearing upon any consumer product or consumer product package, for purposes of branding, identifying, or giving information with respect to the product or to the contents of the package.
"Laundry prewash" means a product that is designed for application to a fabric prior to laundering and that supplements and contributes to the effectiveness of laundry detergents or provides specialized performance.
"Laundry starch product" means a product that is designed for application to a fabric, either during or after laundering, to impart and prolong a crisp, fresh look and may also act to help ease ironing of the fabric and includes, but is not limited to, fabric finish, sizing, and starch.
"Lawn and garden insecticide" means an insecticide product designed primarily to be used in household lawn and garden areas to protect plants from insects or other arthropods.
"Liquid" means a substance or mixture of substances which is capable of a visually detectable flow as determined under ASTM D 4359- 90 but does not include powders or other materials that are composed entirely of solid particles.
"Lubricant" means a product designed to reduce friction, heat, noise, or wear between moving parts or to loosen rusted or immovable parts or mechanisms.
(1) Lubricant does not include automotive power steering fluids; products for use inside power generating motors, engines, and turbines, and their associated power-transfer gearboxes; two cycle oils or other products designed to be added to fuels; products for use on the human body or animals; or products that are:
(a) Exclusively sold directly or through distributors to establishments that manufacture or construct goods or commodities; and
(b) Labeled for use in the manufacturing process only.
"LVP content" means the total weight, in pounds, of LVP compounds in a product multiplied by 100 and divided by the product's total net weight (in pounds, excluding container and packaging), expressed to the nearest 0.1.
"LVP-VOC" means a chemical compound or mixture that contains at least one carbon atom and meets one of the following:
(1) Has a vapor pressure less than 0.1 mm Hg at 20 degrees Celsius, as determined by CARB Method 310;
(2) Is a chemical compound with more than 12 carbon atoms, or a chemical mixture comprised solely of compounds with more than 12 carbon atoms, and the vapor pressure is unknown;
(3) Is a chemical compound with a boiling point greater than 216 degrees Celsius, as determined by CARB Method 310; or
(4) Is the weight percent of a chemical mixture that boils above 216 degrees Celsius, as determined by CARB Method 310.
(5) For the purposes of the definition of LVP-VOC:
(a) "Chemical compound" means a molecule of definite chemical formula and isomeric structure; and
(b) "Chemical mixture" means a substrate comprised of two or more chemical compounds.
"Manufacturer" means any person who imports, manufactures, assembles, produces, packages, repackages, or re-labels a consumer product.
"Medicated astringent/medicated toner" means any product regulated as a drug by the FDA which is applied to the skin for the purpose of cleaning or tightening pores.
(1) Medicated astringent/medicated toner includes, but is not limited to, clarifiers and substrate-impregnated products.
(2) Medicated astringent/medicated toner does not include hand, face, or body cleaner or soap products, astringent/toner, cold cream, lotion, antiperspirants, or products that must be purchased with a doctor's prescription.
"Medium volatility organic compound (MVOC)" means any volatile organic compound that exerts a vapor pressure greater than two mm Hg and less than or equal to 80 mm Hg when measured at 20 degrees Celsius.
"Metal polish/cleanser" means any product designed primarily to improve the appearance of finished metal, metallic, or metallized surfaces by physical or chemical action.
(1) To improve the appearance means to remove or reduce stains, impurities, or oxidation from surfaces or to make surfaces smooth and shiny.
(2) Metal polish/cleanser includes, but is not limited to, metal polishes used on brass, silver, chrome, copper, stainless steel and other ornamental metals.
(3) Metal polish/cleanser does not include automotive wax, polish, sealant or glaze, wheel cleaner, paint remover or stripper, products designed and labeled exclusively for automotive and marine detailing, or products designed for use in degreasing tanks.
"Mist spray adhesive" means any aerosol which is not a special purpose spray adhesive and which delivers a particle or mist spray, resulting in the formation of fine, discrete particles that yield a generally uniform and smooth application of adhesive to the substrate.
"Multi-purpose dry lubricant" means any lubricant that is:
(1) Designed and labeled to provide lubricity by depositing a thin film of graphite, molybdenum disulfide ("moly"), or polytetrafluoroethylene or closely related fluoropolymer ("teflon") on surfaces; and
(2) Designed for general purpose lubrication, or for use in a wide variety of applications.
"Multi-purpose lubricant" means any lubricant designed for general purpose lubrication or for use in a wide variety of applications but does not include multi-purpose dry lubricants, penetrants, or silicone-based multi-purpose lubricants.
"Multi-purpose solvent" means any liquid product designed or labeled to be used for dispersing, dissolving, or removing contaminants or other organic materials.
(1) Multi-purpose solvent includes:
(a) Products that do not display specific use instructions on the product container or packaging;
(b) Products that do not specify an end-use function or application on the product container or packaging;
(c) Solvents used in institutional facilities, except for laboratory reagents used in analytical, educational, research, scientific or other laboratories;
(d) Paint clean-up products; and
(e) Products labeled to prepare surfaces for painting.
(2) Multi-purpose solvent does not include any product making any representation that the product may be used as, or is suitable for use as, a consumer product that meets another definition in R307-357-3; such products are subject to the most restrictive limit provisions in R307-357-10(4) and R307-357-10(5).
"Nail polish" means any clear or colored coating designed for application to the fingernails or toenails and including but not limited to, lacquers, enamels, acrylics, base coats and top coats.
"Nail polish remover" means a product designed to remove nail polish and coatings from fingernails or toenails.
"Non aerosol product" means any consumer product that is not dispensed by a pressurized spray system.
"Non carbon containing compound" means any compound which does not contain any carbon atoms.
"Non-selective terrestrial herbicide" means a terrestrial herbicide product that is toxic to plants without regard to species.
"Oven or grill cleaner" means a product labeled exclusively as a product to remove baked on grease or deposits from food preparation or cooking surfaces.
"Paint" means any pigmented liquid, liquefiable, or mastic composition designed for application to a substrate in a thin layer which is converted to an opaque solid film after application and is used for protection, decoration or identification, or to serve some functional purpose such as the filling or concealing of surface irregularities or the modification of light and heat radiation characteristics.
"Paint remover or stripper" means any product designed to strip or remove paints or other related coatings, by chemical action, from a substrate without markedly affecting the substrate but does not include "Multi-purpose Solvents", paint brush cleaners, products designed and labeled exclusively to remove graffiti, and hand cleaner products that claim to remove paints and other related coatings from skin.
"Paint thinner" means any liquid product used for reducing the viscosity of coating compositions or components or that prominently displays the term paint thinner, lacquer thinner, thinner, or reducer on the front panel of its packaging.
(1) Paint thinner does not include any of the following products:
(a) Artist's solvent/thinner;
(b) Products that are sold in containers with a capacity of five gallons or more and labeled exclusively for the thinning of industrial maintenance coatings, zinc-rich primers, or high temperature coatings;
(c) Products labeled and used exclusively as an ingredient in a specific coating or coating brand line whereby the coating would not be complete or useable without the specific ingredient;
(d) Products that meet both of the following criteria:
(i) The principle display panel of the product displays states that the product is used exclusively for the thinning of industrial maintenance coatings, zinc-rich primers, or high temperature coatings; and
(ii) No representation is made anywhere on the product container or packaging or any label or sticker attached thereto that the product is suitable for use or may be used for any other purpose except the thinning of industrial maintenance coatings, zinc-rich primers, or high temperature coatings.
"Penetrant" means a lubricant designed and labeled primarily to loosen metal parts that have bonded together due to rusting, oxidation, or other causes but does not include "Multi-purpose Lubricants" that claim to have penetrating qualities, but are not labeled primarily to loosen bonded parts.
"Pesticide" means and includes any substance or mixture of substances labeled, designed, or intended for use in preventing, destroying, repelling or mitigating any pest, or any substance or mixture of substances labeled, designed, or intended for use as a defoliant, desiccant, or plant regulator, provided that the term "pesticide" will not include any substance, mixture of substances, or device which the United States Environmental Protection Agency does not consider to be a pesticide.
"Principal display panel or panels" means that part, or those parts of a label that are so designed as to most likely be displayed, presented, shown or examined under normal and customary conditions of display or purchase. Whenever a principal display panel appears more than once, all requirements pertaining to the "principal display panel" shall pertain to all such "principal display panels."
"Product category" means the applicable category which best describes the product as listed in Table 1. "Propellant" means a liquefied or compressed gas that is used in whole or in part, such as a cosolvent, to expel a liquid or any other material from the same self-pressurized container or from a separate container.
"Pump spray" means a packaging system in which the product ingredients within the container are not under pressure and in which the product is expelled only while a pumping action is applied to a button, trigger or other actuator.
"Restricted materials" means pesticides established as restricted materials under applicable state or federal laws or regulations.
"Roll on product" means any antiperspirant or deodorant that dispenses active ingredients by rolling a wetted ball or wetted cylinder on the affected area.
"Rubber/vinyl protectant" means any product labeled as a product that protects, preserves or renews vinyl or rubber on vehicles, tires, luggage, furniture, or household products such as vinyl covers, clothing, or accessories. Rubber/vinyl protectant does not include products labeled to clean the wheel rim, such as aluminum or magnesium wheel cleaners, and tire cleaners that do not leave an appearance-enhancing or protective substance on the tire.
"Sanitizer" means a product that is labeled as a sanitizer or labeled as a product to reduce, but not necessary eliminate, microorganisms in the air, on surfaces, or on inanimate objects and whose label is registered as a sanitizer under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA; 7 U.S.C. section 136 et seq.)
(1) Products that are labeled as both a sanitizer and a disinfectant are considered disinfectants.
(2) Sanitizers do not include:
(b) Products labeled solely for use on humans or animals;
(c) Products labeled solely for agricultural use;
(d) Products labeled solely for use in swimming pools, therapeutic tubs, or hot tubs;
(e) products that are labeled to be used on heat sensitive critical or semi-critical medical devices or medical equipment surfaces;
(f) Pre-moistened wipes or towelettes sold exclusively to medical, convalescent or veterinary establishments;
(g) Products that are labeled to be applied to food-contact surfaces and are not required to be rinsed prior to contact with food; or
(h) Bathroom and tile cleaners, glass cleaners, general purpose cleaners, metal polishers or fabric refreshers that may also make sanitizing or anti-microbial claims on the label.
"Rubbing alcohol" means any product containing isopropyl alcohol (also called isopropanol) or denatured ethanol and labeled for topical use, usually to decrease germs in minor cuts and scrapes, to relieve minor muscle aches, as a rubefacient, and for massage.
"Sealant and caulking compound" means any product with adhesive properties that is designed to fill, seal, waterproof, or weatherproof gaps or joints between two surfaces.
(1) Sealant and caulking compound does not include roof cements and roof sealants; insulating foams; removable caulking compounds; clear/paintable/water resistant caulking compounds; floor seam sealers; products designed exclusively for automotive uses; or sealers that are applied as continuous coatings.
(2) Sealant and caulking compound also does not include units of product, less packaging, which weigh more than one pound and consist of more than 16 fluid ounces.
(3) For the purposes of this definition only:
(a) "Removable caulking compounds" means a compound which temporarily seals windows or doors for three to six month time intervals; and
(b) "Clear/paintable/water resistant caulking compounds" means a compound which contains no appreciable level of opaque fillers or pigments; transmits most or all visible light through the caulk when cured; is paintable; and is immediately resistant to precipitation upon application.
"Semisolid" means a product that, at room temperature, will not pour, but will spread or deform easily, including gels, pastes, and greases.
"Shaving cream" means an aerosol product which dispenses a foam lather intended to be used with a blade, cartridge razor, or other wet shaving system in the removal of facial or other bodily hair.
"Shaving Gel" means an aerosol product that dispenses a post-foaming semisolid designed to be used with a blade, cartridge razor, or other shaving system in the removal of facial or other bodily hair.
"Silicone-based multi-purpose lubricant" means any lubricant which is:
(1) Designed and labeled to provide lubricity primarily through the use of silicone compounds including, but not limited to, polydimethylsiloxane; and
(2) Designed and labeled for general purpose lubrication, or for use in a wide variety of applications.
(3) Silicone-based multi-purpose lubricant does not include products designed and labeled exclusively to release manufactured products from molds.
"Single phase aerosol air freshener" means an aerosol air freshener with the liquid contents in a single homogeneous phase and which does not require that the product container be shaken before use.
"Solid" means a substance or mixture of substances which, either whole or subdivided (such as the particles comprising a powder), is not capable of visually detectable flow as determined under ASTM D-4359-90.
"Special purpose spray adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive that meets any of the following definitions:
(1) "Mounting adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed to permanently mount photographs, artwork, and any other drawn or printed media to a backing (paper, board, cloth, etc.) without causing discoloration to the artwork.
(2) "Flexible vinyl adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed to bond flexible vinyl to substrates.
(a) "Flexible vinyl" means a nonrigid polyvinyl chloride plastic with at least five percent, by weight, of plasticizer content.
(b) "Plasticizer" means a material such as a high boiling point organic solvent that is incorporated into a plastic to increase its flexibility, workability, or distensibility, and may be determined using ASTM Method E260-91 or from product formulation data.
(3) "Polystyrene foam adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed to bond polystyrene foam to substrates.
(4) "Automobile headliner adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed to bond together layers in motor vehicle headliners.
(5) "Polyolefin adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed to bond polyolefins to substrates.
(6) "Laminate repair/edgebanding adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed for:
(a) The touch-up or repair of items laminated with high pressure laminates (e.g., lifted edges, delaminates, etc.); or
(b) The touch-up, repair, or attachment of edgebonding materials, including but not limited to, other laminates, synthetic marble, veneers, wood molding, and decorative metals.
(c) For the purposes of this definition, "high pressure laminate" means sheet materials that consist of paper, fabric, or other core material that have been laminated at temperatures exceeding 265 degrees Fahrenheit, and at pressures between 1,000 and 1,400 psi.
(7) "Automotive engine compartment adhesive" means an aerosol adhesive designed for use in motor vehicle under-the-hood applications which require oil and plasticizer resistance, as well as high shear strength, at temperatures of 200 to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
"Spot remover" means any product designed to clean localized areas, or remove localized spots or stains on cloth or fabric such as drapes, carpets, upholstery, and clothing, that does not require subsequent laundering to achieve stain removal but does not include dry cleaning fluid, laundry prewash, carpet and upholstery cleaner, or multi-purpose solvent.
"Spray buff product" means a product designed to restore a worn floor finish in conjunction with a floor buffing machine and special pad.
"Stick product" means any antiperspirant or deodorant that contains active ingredients in a solid matrix form, and that dispenses the active ingredients by frictional action on the affected area.
"Structural waterproof adhesive" means an adhesive whose bond lines are resistant to conditions of continuous immersion in fresh or salt water, and that conforms with Federal Specification MMM-A-181 (Type 1, Grade A), and MIL-A-4605 (Type A, Grade A and Grade C). This definition is as per the Federal Consumer Products Regulation 40 CFR 59 Subpart C.
"Terrestrial" means to live on or grow from land.
"Temporary hair color" means any product that applies color, glitter, or UV-active pigments to hair, wigs, or fur and is removable when washed.
"Tire sealant and inflation" means any pressurized product that is designed to temporarily inflate and seal a leaking tire.
"Type A propellant" means a compressed gas such as CO2, N2, N2O, or compressed air which is used as a propellant, and is either incorporated with the product or contained in a separate chamber within the product's packaging.
"Type B propellant" means any halocarbon which is used as a propellant including chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), and hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs).
"Type C propellant" means any propellant which is not a Type A or Type B propellant, including propane, isobutane, n butane, and dimethyl ether (also known as dimethyl oxide).
"Undercoating" means any aerosol product designed to impart a protective, non-paint layer to the undercarriage, trunk interior, or firewall of motor vehicles to prevent the formation of rust or to deaden sound and includes, but is not limited to, rubberized, mastic, or asphaltic products.
"VOC content" means the total weight of VOC in a product expressed as a percentage of the product weight (exclusive of the container or packaging).
"Wasp and hornet insecticide" means any insecticide product that is designed for use against wasps, hornets, yellow jackets or bees by allowing the user to spray from a distance a directed stream or burst at the intended insects, or their hiding place.
"Waterproofer" means a product designed and labeled exclusively to repel water from fabric or leather substrates. "Waterproofer" does not include "Fabric Protectants".
"Wax" means a material or synthetic thermoplastic substance generally of high molecular weight hydrocarbons or high molecular weight esters of fatty acids or alcohols, except glycerol and high polymers (plastics) and includes, but is not limited to, substances derived from the secretions of plants and animals such as carnuba wax and beeswax, substances of a mineral origin such as ozocerite and paraffin, and synthetic polymers such as polyethylene.
"Web spray adhesive" means any aerosol adhesive which is not a mist spray or special purpose spray adhesive.
"Wood cleaner" means a product labeled to clean wooden materials, including but not limited to, decking, fences, flooring, logs, cabinetry, and furniture.
"Wood floor wax" means wax based products for use solely on wood floors.
(1) Except as provided in R307-357-6, 7, 8 and 9, no person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or manufacture for sale any consumer product manufactured on or after the effective date in Table 1 that contains VOCs in excess of the limits specified in Table 1.
TABLE 1 Table of Standards (percent volatile organic compounds by weight) CATEGORY EFFECTIVE BEGINNING 9/1/2014 Adhesive Removers: Floor and wall 5 covering Gasket or thread 50 locking General purpose 20 Specialty 70 Adhesives: Aerosol mist spray 65 Aerosol web spray 55 Special Purpose Spray Adhesives: Mounting, automotive 70 Engine compartment, and flexible vinyl Polystyrene foam and 65 automotive headliner Polylolefin and 60 laminate repair/ edgebanding Construction, panel, 7 and floor Covering: Contact general 55 purpose Contact special 80 purpose General purpose 10 Structural waterproof 15 Air Fresheners: Single-phase aerosols 30 Double-phase aerosols 25 Dual-purpose air freshener/disinfectant aerosol 60 Liquids/pump sprays 18 Solids/semisolids 3 Antiperspirants: Aerosol 40 HVOC 10 MVOC Non-aerosol 0 HVOC 0 MVOC Anti-static product: Non-aerosol 11 Aerosol 80 Automotive rubbing 17 or polishing compound Automotive wax, polish, sealant or Glaze: Hard paste waxes 45 Instant detailers 3 All other forms 15 Automotive windshield washer fluids 35 Bathroom and Tile Cleaners: Aerosols 7 Non-aerosols 1 Brake cleaner 10 Bug and tar remover 40 Carburetor or 10 fuel-injection air intake cleaners Carpet and Upholstery Cleaners: Aerosols 7 Non-aerosols 0.1 (dilutables) Non-aerosols 3.0 (ready-to-use) Cooking spray aerosols 18 Disinfectant: Aerosol 70 non-aerosol 1 Deodorants: Aerosol 0 HVOC 10 MVOC Non-aerosol 0 HVOC 0 MVOC Dusting Aids: Aerosols 25 All other forms 7 Electrical cleaner 45 Electronic cleaner 75 Engine Degreasers: Aerosol 10 Non-aerosol 5 Fabric protectants 60 Fabric refresher: Aerosol 15 Non-aerosol 6 Floor Polishes or Waxes: Resilient flooring 1 materials Nonresilient flooring 1 materials Wood floor wax 90 Footwear or leather care products: Aerosol 75 Solid 55 Other forms 15 Furniture Maintenance Products: Aerosols 17 Non-aerosol (except solid or paste) 3 General Purpose Cleaners: Aerosols 8 Non-aerosols 4 General Purpose Degreasers: Aerosols 10 Non-aerosols 4 Glass Cleaners: Aerosols 12 Non-aerosols 4 Graffiti Remover: Aerosols 50 Non-aerosols 30 Hair mousses 6 Hair shines 55 Hairsprays 55 Hair styling gels 6 Hair Styling Products: Aerosol and pump sprays 6 All other forms 2 Heavy-duty hand 8 cleaners or soaps Insecticides: Crawling bug 15 (aerosol) Crawling bug 20 (all other forms) Flea and tick 25 Flying bug 25 (aerosol) Flying bug 35 (all other forms) Foggers 45 Lawn and garden 20 (all other forms) Lawn and garden 3 (non-aerosol) Wasp and hornet 40 Laundry Prewashes: Aerosols/solids 22 All other forms 5 Laundry starch 4.5 products Metal polishes/ 30 cleansers Multi-Purpose lubricants 50 (excluding solid or semi-solid products) Nail Polish Removers 1 Non-selective 3 terrestrial herbicides, non-aerosols Oven or Grill Cleaners: Aerosols/pump sprays 8 Non-aerosols 4 Paint remover or 50 strippers Paint Thinner 30 Penetrants 50 Rubber or Vinyl Protectants: Non-aerosols 3 Sanitizer: Aerosol 70 Non-aerosols 1 Sealants and 4 caulking compounds Shaving creams 5 Shaving gel 4 Silicone-based multi- 60 purpose lubricants (excluding solid or semi-solid products) Spot Removers: Aerosols 25 Non-aerosols 8 Temporary hair color 55 aerosol Tire sealants and 20 inflators Toilet/urinal care: Aerosols 10 Non-aerosol 3 Undercoatings, aerosols 40 Wood Cleaner: Aerosol 17 Non-Aerosol 4 EFFECTIVE BEGINNING 1/1/15 Multi-purpose Solvent 3 EFFECTIVE BEGINNING 1/1/16 Paint Thinner: 3 Rubber or Vinyl 10 Protectant Aerosols:
(2) For consumer products for which the label, packaging, or accompanying literature specifically states that the product should be diluted with water or non-VOC solvent prior to use, the limits specified in Table 1 shall apply to the product only after the minimum recommended dilution has taken place. For purposes of this subsection, "minimum recommended dilution" shall not include recommendations for incidental use of a concentrated product to deal with limited special applications such as hard to remove soils or stains.
(3) For consumer products for which the label, packaging, or accompanying literature states that the product should be diluted with any VOC solvent prior to use, the limits specified in Table 1 shall apply to the product only after the maximum recommended dilution has taken place.
(4) Effective September 1, 2016, no person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or manufacture for use any aerosol adhesive, adhesive removers, and graffiti removers that contain methylene chloride, perchloroethylene, or trichloroethylene.
Sell-through products of aerosol adhesive, adhesive removers, and graffiti removers that contain methylene chloride, perchloroethylene, or trichloroethylene and were manufactured before September 1, 2016, may be sold, supplied, or offered for sale so long as the product container or package displays the date on which the product was manufactured.
(5) No person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or manufacture any floor wax stripper unless the following requirements are met:
(a) The label of each non-aerosol floor wax stripper shall specify a dilution ratio for light or medium build-up of polish that results in an as-used VOC concentration of 3% by weight or less.
(b) If a non-aerosol floor wax stripper is also intended to be used for removal of heavy build-up of polish, the label of that floor wax stripper shall specify a dilution ratio for heavy build-up of polish that results in an as-used VOC concentration of 12% by weight or less.
(6) Products containing ozone-depleting compounds. For any consumer product for which standards are specified under R307-357-4, no person shall sell, supply, offer for sale, or manufacture for sale any consumer product that contains any of the following ozone-depleting compounds:
(a) CFC 11 (trichlorofluoromethane);
(b) CFC 12 (dichlorodifluoromethane);
(c) CFC 113 (1,1,1 trichloro 2,2,2 trifluoroethane);
(d) CFC 114 (1 chloro 1,1 difluoro 2 chloro 2,2 difluoroethane);
(e) CFC 115 (chloropentafluoroethane);
(f) Halon 1211 (bromochlorodifluoromethane);
(g) Halon 1301 (bromotrifluoromethane);
(h) Halon 2402 (dibromotetrafluoroethane);
(i) HCFC 22 (chlorodifluoromethane);
(j) HCFC 123 (2,2 dichloro 1,1,1 trifluoroethane);
(k) HCFC 124 (2 chloro 1,1,1,2 tetrafluoroethane);
(l) HCFC 141b (1,1 dichloro 1 fluoroethane);
(m) HCFC 142b (1 chloro 1,1 difluoroethane);
(n) 1,1,1 trichloroethane; and
(o) Carbon tetrachloride.
(7) The requirements of R307-357-4(6) shall not apply to any existing product formulation that complies with Table 1 or any existing product formulation that is reformulated to meet the standards set in Table 1, provided the ozone-depleting compound content of the reformulated product does not increase.
(8) The requirements of R307-357-4(6) shall not apply to any ozone-depleting compounds that may be present as impurities in a consumer product in an amount equal to or less than 0.01% by weight of the product.
No person shall sell, supply, or offer for sale any charcoal lighter material products unless the product has been issued and conforms to the conditions in a currently effective certification issued by the CARB pursuant to the provisions of 17 CCR 94509(h) as of the effective date of R307-357. A copy of the CARB certification decision shall be submitted to the director upon request.
(1) R307-357 shall not apply to any consumer product manufactured for shipment and use outside of the counties specified in R307-357-2 as long as the manufacturer or distributor can demonstrate both that the consumer product is intended for shipment and use outside of the applicable counties and that the manufacturer or distributor has taken reasonable prudent precautions to assure that the consumer product is not distributed to the applicable counties.
(2) The medium volatility organic compound (MVOC) content standards specified in Table 1 for antiperspirants or deodorants shall not apply to ethanol.
(3) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to fragrances up to a combined level of 2% by weight contained in any consumer product and shall not apply to colorants up to a combined level of 2% by weight contained in any antiperspirant or deodorant.
(4) The requirements in Table 1 for antiperspirants or deodorants shall not apply to those VOCs that contain more than ten carbon atoms per molecule and for which the vapor pressure is unknown, or that have a vapor pressure of two mm Hg or less at 20 degrees Celsius.
(5) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to any LVP-VOC.
(6) The requirements of R307-357-10 shall not apply to consumer products registered under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act, (FIFRA; 7 U.S.C. Section 136/136y).
(7) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to air fresheners that are comprised entirely of fragrance, less compounds, not defined as VOCs or exempted under R307-357-6.
(8) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to air fresheners and insecticides containing at least 98% paradichlorobenzene.
(9) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to adhesives in containers of one fluid ounce or less.
(10) The VOC limits specified in Table 1 shall not apply to bait station insecticides.
(1) Consumer products that have been granted an innovative products exemption by the CARB under provisions of 17 CCR 94511 as of the effective date of R307-357, shall be exempt from the VOC content limits in listed in Table 1 for the period of time that the innovative product exemption remains in effect.
(2) Any manufacturer claiming such an exemption shall submit to the director upon request, a copy of the CARB exemption decision, including all conditions established by CARB applicable to the exemption before the date that the product is first marketed in the applicable counties.
(1) Any manufacturer of consumer products who has been granted an ACP agreement by the CARB under provisions of 17 CCR 94540-94555 as of the effective date of R307-357 shall be exempt from complying with the VOC content limits established in Table 1 for the period of time that the ACP agreement remains in effect.
(2) Any manufacturer claiming an ACP agreement shall submit upon request to the director a copy of the ACP decision, including all conditions applicable to the exemption before the date that the product is first marketed in the applicable counties.
(1) Consumer products that have been granted a variance by the CARB under the provisions of 17 CCR 94514 as of the effective date of this rule shall be exempt from complying with the VOC content limits established in Table 1 for the period of time that the variance remains in effect.
(2) Any person claiming a variance shall submit a copy of the variance decision to the director upon request, including all conditions applicable to the variance before the date that the product is first marketed in the applicable counties.
(1) Product Dating. Each manufacturer of a consumer product subject to the standards established in Table 1 shall clearly display on each consumer product container or package, the day, month, and year on which the product was manufactured, or a code indicating such date.
(a) A manufacturer who uses the following code to indicate the date of manufacture shall not be subject to the requirements of R307-357-10(3) if the code is represented separately from other codes on the product container so that it is easily recognizable:
YY DDD = year year day day day where:
"YY" = two digits representing the year in which the product was manufactured, and
"DDD" = three digits representing the day of the year on which the product was manufactured, with "001" representing the first day of the year, "002" representing the second day of the year, and so forth (i.e. the "Julian date").
(b) The date information shall be located on the container or inside the cover or cap so that it is readily observable or obtainable by simply removing the cap or cover without disassembling any part of the container or packaging.
(c) The date information shall be displayed on each consumer product container or package no later than twelve months prior to the effective date of the applicable standard specified in Table 1.
(d) No person shall erase, alter, deface or otherwise remove or make illegible any date from any regulated product container without the express authorization of the manufacturer.
(2) The requirements of this provision shall not apply to products containing no VOCs or to products containing VOCs at 0.10% by weight or less.
(3) If a manufacturer uses a code indicating the date of manufacture, for any consumer product subject to R307-357-4, an explanation of the date portion of the code shall be supplied to the director within 30 day of written request.
(4) Notwithstanding the definition of product category in R-307-357-3, if anywhere on the container or packaging of any consumer product manufactured on or after the effective date specified in Table 1, or one year thereafter for any FIFRA-registered insecticide, or on any sticker or label affixed thereto, any representation is made that the product may be used as, or is suitable for use as, a consumer product for which a lower VOC limit is specified in R307-357-4, then the lowest VOC limit shall apply. This requirement does not apply to general purpose cleaners, antiperspirant/deodorant products or insecticide foggers.
(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of R307-357-10(4), a product that makes ancillary disinfecting, sanitizing, or antimicrobial claims on the label is not subject to the VOC standards for disinfectant or sanitizer if the product is designed and labeled on the principal display panel as a bathroom and tile cleaner, carpet/upholstery cleaner, fabric refresher, general purpose cleaner, glass cleaner, metal polish or cleanser.
(1) Upon 90 days written notice, the director may require any responsible party to report information for any consumer product or products the director may specify including, but not limited to, all or part of the following information:
(a) The name of the responsible party and the party's address, telephone number, and designated contact person;
(b) The product brand name for each consumer product subject to registration and the product label;
(c) The product category to which the consumer product belongs;
(d) The applicable product forms listed separately;
(e) An identification of each product brand name and form as a "household product," "I and I Product," or both;
(f) Separate sales applicable counties in pounds per year, to the nearest pound, and the method used to calculate the sales for each product form;
(g) For registrations submitted by two companies, an identification of the company that is submitting relevant data separate from that submitted by the responsible party;
(h) For each product brand name and form, the net percent by weight of the total product, less container and packaging, comprised of the following, rounded to the nearest one tenth of a percent:
(i) Total non-VOC compounds.
(ii) Total LVP-VOCs that are not fragrances.
(iii) Total all other carbon containing compounds that are not fragrances.
(iv) Total all non-carbon containing compounds.
(v) Total fragrance.
(vi) For products containing greater than two% by weight fragrance:
(A) The percent of fragrance that are LVP-VOCs; and
(B) The percent of fragrance that are all other carbon containing compounds.
(vii) Total paradichlorobenzene.
(i) For each product brand name and form, the identity, including the specific chemical name and associated chemical abstract services (CAVES) number, of the following:
(i) Each non-VOC Compound; and
(ii) Each LVP-VOC that is not a fragrance.
(j) If applicable, the weight percent comprised of propellant for each product;
(k) If applicable, an identification of the type of propellant (Type A, Type B, Type C, or a blend of the different types).
(2) In addition to the requirements of section R307-357-11(1), the responsible party shall report or shall arrange to have reported to the director the net percent by weight of each ozone-depleting compound which is:
(a) Listed in R307-357-4(6); and
(b) Contained in a product subject to registration under R307-357-11(1) in any amount greater than 0.1 percent by weight.
(3) For the purpose of R307-357-11 "product form" means the applicable form which most accurately describes the product's dispensing form as follows:
A = Aerosol Product
S = Solid
P = Pump Spray
L = Liquid
SS = Semisolid
O = Other
R307-357-12. Special Reporting Requirements for Consumer Products that Contain Perchloroethylene or Methylene Chloride.
(1) The requirements of R307-357-12 shall apply to all responsible parties for consumer products that are subject to the standards established in Table 1 and contain perchloroethylene or methylene chloride.
(a) For the purposes of this subsection, a product contains perchloroethylene or methylene chloride if the product contains 1.0% or more by weight (exclusive of the container or packaging) of either perchloroethylene or methylene chloride.
(2) For each consumer product that contains perchloroethylene or methylene chloride, upon request from the director, the responsible party shall report the following information for products sold in the applicable counties within 90 days written notice:
(a) The product brand name and a copy of the product label with legible usage instructions;
(b) The product category to which the consumer product belongs;
(c) The applicable product forms (listed separately);
(d) For each product form listed in R307-357-12(2)(c), the total sales in the applicable counties during the calendar year, to the nearest pound (exclusive of the container or packaging), and the method used for calculating the sales; and
(e) The weight percent, to the nearest 0.10 percent, of perchloroethylene and methylene chloride in the consumer product.
Testing to determine compliance with the requirements of this regulation shall be performed using the CARB Method 310, Determination of Volatile Organic Compounds in Consumer Products, which is herein incorporated by reference.
(1) Testing to determine compliance with the requirements of R307-357 may also be demonstrated through calculation of the VOC content from records of the amounts of constituents used to make the product pursuant to the following criteria:
(a) Compliance determinations based on these records may not be used unless the manufacturer of a consumer product keeps accurate records for each day of production of the amount and chemical composition of the individual product constituents, and these records must be kept for at least three years.
(b) For the purposes of R307-357-13, the VOC content shall be calculated according to the following equation:
VOC Content = ((B-C)/A) x 100
where, A = total net weight of unit (excluding container and packaging)
B = total weight of all VOCs, as defined in Table 1, per unit
C = total weight of VOCs exempted under R307-357-6, per unit
(c) If product records appear to demonstrate compliance with the VOC limits, but these records are contradicted by product testing performed using CARB Method 310, the results of CARB Method 310 shall take precedence over the product records and may be used to establish a violation of the requirements of this regulation.
Testing to determine whether a product is a liquid or solid shall be performed using ASTM D4359- 90 (2012).
air pollution, consumer products
May 8, 2014
March 8, 2018
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R307, please contact the promulgating agency (Environmental Quality, Air Quality). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.