Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R313. Environmental Quality, Waste Management and Radiation Control, Radiation.
Rule R313-38. Licenses and Radiation Safety Requirements for Well Logging.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R313-38-1. Purpose and Authority.
- R313-38-2. Scope.
- R313-38-3. Clarifications or Exceptions.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) Rule R313-38 prescribes requirements for the issuance of a license authorizing the use of licensed materials including sealed sources, radioactive tracers, radioactive markers, and uranium sinker bars in well logging in a single well. This rule also prescribes radiation safety requirements for persons using licensed materials in these operations.
(2) The rules set forth herein are adopted pursuant to the provisions of Subsections 19-3-104(3) and 19-3-104(6).
(3) The provisions and requirements of Rule R313-38 are in addition to, and not in substitution for, the other requirements of these rules. In particular, the provisions of Rules R313-15, R313-18, R313-19, and R313-22 apply to applicants and licensees subject to these rules.
(1) The requirements of Rule R313-38 do not apply to the issuance of a license authorizing the use of licensed material in tracer studies involving multiple wells, such as field flooding studies, or to the use of sealed sources auxiliary to well logging but not lowered into wells.
For purposes of Rule R313-38, 10 CFR 39 (2013), is incorporated by reference with the following clarifications or exceptions:
(1) The exclusion of the following 10 CFR sections: 39.1, 39.5, 39.8, 39.11, 39.101, and 39.103;
(2) The exclusion of the following 10 CFR references within 10 CFR 39: Sec. 40.32, and Sec. 70.23;
(3) The exclusion of "licensed material" in 10 CFR 39.2 definitions;
(4) The substitution of the following wording:
(a) License for reference to NRC license;
(b) Utah Radiation Control Rules for the references to:
(i) The Commission's regulations;
(ii) The NRC regulations;
(iii) NRC regulations; and
(iv) Pertinent Federal regulations;
(c) Director for reference to Commission, except as stated in Subsection R313-38-3(4)(d);
(d) Representatives of the Director for the references to the Commission in:
(i) 10 CFR 39.33(d);
(ii) 10 CFR 39.35(a);
(iii) 10 CFR 39.37;
(iv) 10 CFR 39.39(b); and
(v) 10 CFR 39.67(f);
(e) Director for references to:
(i) NRC in:
(A) 10 CFR 39.63(l);
(B) 10 CFR 39.77(c)(1)(i) and (ii); and
(C) 10 CFR 39.77(d)(9); and
(ii) Appropriate NRC Regional Office in:
(A) 10 CFR 39.77(a);
(B) 10 CFR 39.77(c)(1); and
(C) 10 CFR 39.77(d);
(iii) Appropriate NRC Regional Office listed in appendix D of part 20 of this chapter in:
(A) 10 CFR 39.35(d)(2)
(f) Director, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission or an Agreement State for the references to:
(i) Commission or an Agreement State in:
(A) 10 CFR 39.35(b); and
(B) 10 CFR 39.43(d) and (e); and
(ii) Commission pursuant to Sec. 39.13(c) or by an Agreement State in:
(A) 10 CFR 39.43(c); and
(B) 10 CFR 39.51;
(g) In 10 CFR 39.35(d)(1), persons specifically licensed by the Director, the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, or an Agreement State for the reference to an NRC or Agreement State licensee that is authorized;
(h) In 10 CFR 39.75(e), a U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission or an Agreement State for the reference to the Agreement State;
(5) The substitution of the following Title R313 references for specific 10 CFR references:
(a) Section R313-12-3 for the reference to Sec. 20.1003 of this chapter;
(b) Section R313-12-54 for the reference to 10 CFR 39.17;
(c) Subsection R313-12-55(1) for the reference to 10 CFR 39.91;
(d) Rule R313-15 for references to:
(i) Part 20; and
(ii) Part 20 of this chapter;
(e) Subsection R313-15-901(1) for the reference to Sec. 20.1901(a);
(f) Section R313-15-906 for the reference to Sec. 20.1906 of this chapter;
(g) Sections R313-15-1201 through R313-15-1203 for the references to:
(i) Secs. 20.2201-20.2202; and
(ii) Sec. 20.2203;
(h) Rule R313-18 for the reference to part 19;
(i) Section R313-19-30 for the reference to Sec. 150.20 of this chapter;
(j) Section R313-19-50 for the references to:
(i) Sec. 30.50; and
(ii) Part 21 of this chapter;
(k) Section R313-19-71 for the reference to Sec. 30.71;
(l) Section R313-19-100 for the references to:
(i) 10 CFR Part 71; and
(ii) Sec. 71.5 of this chapter; and
(m) Section R313-22-33 for the reference to 10 CFR 30.33;
(n) Rules R313-15, R313-18, and R313-38 for corresponding references to:
(i) Parts 19, 20, and 39 of this chapter;
(ii) A copy of parts 19, 20, and 39 of NRC regulations.
radioactive materials, well logging, surveys, subsurface tracer studies
March 17, 2015
January 17, 2017
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R313, please contact the promulgating agency (Environmental Quality, Waste Management and Radiation Control, Radiation). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.