Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R317. Environmental Quality, Water Quality.

Rule R317-14. Approval of Change in Point of Discharge of POTW.

As in effect on January 1, 2020

Table of Contents

R317-14-1. Definitions.

1.1 "Director" means the Director of the Division of Water Quality.

1.2 "POTW" means a publicly owned treatment works as defined by Utah Code Annotated Section 19-5-102.

R317-14-2. Administrative Requirements.

2.1 General. This rule is issued for changes in point of discharge from a POTW.

2.2 Authority. This rule is issued pursuant to the provisions of Utah Code Annotated Section 73-3c-304.

2.3 Approval Required. A POTW shall apply to and receive approval from the Director prior to any change in the point of discharge of water from the POTW. The Director shall issue an approval if it is determined that the change is necessary:

A. for treatment purposes;

B. to enhance environmental quality;

C. to protect public health, safety, or welfare; or

D. to comply with rules of the Board or the POTW's discharge permit.

2.4 Before approving any change in the point of discharge from a POTW, the Director shall consult with the State Engineer.


wastewater, POTW, discharge

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

February 4, 2008

Notice of Continuation

January 24, 2018

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law


Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R317, please contact the promulgating agency (Environmental Quality, Water Quality). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.