Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since August 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R380. Health, Administration.
Rule R380-25. Submission of Data Through an Electronic Data Interchange.
As in effect on August 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R380-25-1. Purpose and Authority.
- R380-25-2. Definitions.
- R380-25-3. Confidentiality.
- R380-25-4. Required Forwarding.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule provides for the submission of information to the Department of Health through an electronic data interchange (EDI). Subsections 26-1-30(2)(d), 26-1-30(2)(e), 26-1-30(2)(f), 26-1-30(2)(g), 26-1-30(2)(p), and 26-1-30(2)(w); Sections 26-3-5; and 26-3-6 authorize this rule.
These definitions apply to the rule:
(1) "Health data" as defined in Subsection 26-3-1(2).
(2) "Electronic data interchange" means an entity that receives billing, claim, or other electronically transmissible information from a data supplier and transmits it to another party.
(3) "Data supplier" as defined in Section 26-33a-102(3).
(1) Health data received by the Department of Health is confidential and protected as provided in Title 26, Chapter 3.
(2) The Department of Health shall not store or use any information it receives from an EDI that the Department is not authorized to collect by statute, rule or agreement with a data supplier.
(3) An EDI that receives and forwards health data or other information to the Department of Health on behalf of a data supplier without inspecting the contents of the information does not violate patient confidentiality or individual privacy rights.
An EDI that is instructed by a data supplier to forward information to the Department of Health must do so as instructed.
health, electronic data interchange
July 1, 1999
June 7, 2019
26-1-30(2)(d); 26-1-30(2)(e); 26-1-30(2)(f); 26-1-30(2)(g); 26-1-30(2)(p); 26-1-30(2)(w); 26-3-5; 26-3-6
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R380, please contact the promulgating agency (Health, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.