Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Office of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since September 1, 2017, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R477. Human Resource Management, Administration.
Rule R477-15. Workplace Harassment Prevention.
As in effect on September 1, 2017
Table of Contents
- R477-15-1. Policy.
- R477-15-2. Retaliation.
- R477-15-3. Complaint Procedure.
- R477-15-4. Investigative Procedure.
- R477-15-5. Workplace Harassment Records.
- R477-15-6. Training.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
It is the policy of the State of Utah to provide a work environment free from discrimination and harassment based on race, religion, national origin, color, sex, age, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or protected activity or class under state or federal law.
(1) Workplace harassment includes the following subtypes:
(a) conduct in violation of Section R477-15-1 that is unwelcome, pervasive, demeaning, ridiculing, derisive, or coercive, and results in a hostile, offensive, or intimidating work environment;
(b) conduct in violation of Section R477-15-1 that results in a tangible employment action against the harassed employee.
(2) An employee may be subject to discipline for violating workplace policies, even if:
(a) the conduct occurs outside of scheduled work time or work location; or
(b) the the conduct is not sufficiently severe to constitute a violation of law.
(3) Once a complaint has been filed, the accused may not communicate with the complainant regarding allegations of harassment.
(1) No person may retaliate against any employee who opposes a practice forbidden under this policy, or has filed a charge, testified, assisted or participated in any manner in an investigation, proceeding or hearing, or is otherwise engaged in protected activity.
Management shall permit employees who allege workplace harassment, retaliation, or both to file complaints and engage in a review process free from bias, collusion, intimidation or retaliation. Complainants shall be provided a reasonable amount of work time to prepare for and participate in internal complaint processes.
(1) Employees who feel they are being subjected to workplace harassment, retaliation, or both should do the following:
(a) document the occurrence;
(b) continue to report to work; and
(c) identify a witness(es), if applicable.
(2) An employee may file an oral or written complaint of workplace harassment, retaliation, or both with their immediate supervisor, any other supervisor within their direct chain of command, or the Department of Human Resource Management, including the agency human resource field office.
(a) Complaints may be submitted by any employee, witness, volunteer or other individual.
(b) Complaints may be made through either oral or written notification and shall be handled in compliance with investigative procedures and records requirements in Sections R477-15-5 and R477-15-6.
(c) Any supervisor who has knowledge of workplace harassment, retaliation, or both shall take immediate, appropriate action in consultation with DHRM and document the action.
(3) All complaints of workplace harassment, retaliation, or both shall be acted upon following receipt of the complaint.
(4) If an immediate investigation by agency management is deemed unwarranted, the complainant shall be notified.
(1) When warranted investigations shall be conducted based on DHRM standards and business practices.
(2) Results of Investigation
(a) If the investigation finds the allegations to be sustained, agency management shall take appropriate administrative action.
(b) If an investigation reveals evidence of criminal conduct in workplace harassment allegations, the agency head or Executive Director, DHRM, may refer the matter to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
(c) At the conclusion of the investigation, the appropriate parties shall be notified.
(1) A separate confidential file of all workplace harassment and retaliation complaints shall be maintained and stored in the agency human resource field office, or in the possession of an authorized official.
(a) Removal or disposal of these files shall only be done with the approval of the agency head or Executive Director, DHRM.
(b) Files shall be retained in accordance with the retention schedule after the active case ends.
(c) All information contained in the complaint file shall be classified as protected under Section 63G-2-305.
(d) Information contained in the workplace harassment and retaliation file shall only be released by the agency head or Executive Director, DHRM, when required by law.
(2) Supervisors may not keep separate files related to complaints of workplace harassment or retaliation.
(3) Participants in any workplace harassment or retaliation proceeding shall treat all information pertaining to the case as confidential.
(1) DHRM shall provide employees training, including additional training for supervisors, on the prevention of workplace harassment.
(a) The curriculum shall be approved by the Division of Risk Management.
(b) Agencies shall ensure employees complete workplace harassment prevention training upon hire and at least every two years thereafter.
(c) Training records shall be submitted to DHRM including who provided the training, who attended the training and when they attended it.
administrative procedures, hostile work environment
July 1, 2017
April 27, 2017
67-19-6; 67-19-18; 63G-2-305; E.O. No. 12 "Prohibiting Unlawful Harassment" (December 2006)
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R477, please contact the promulgating agency (Human Resource Management, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at https://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html.