Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R525. Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health, State Hospital.
Rule R525-2. Patient Rights.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R525-2-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R525-2-2. Patients and Family Are Informed of Rights.
- R525-2-3. Admission Status.
- R525-2-4. Consent Forms.
- R525-2-5. Patient Advocate.
- R525-2-6. Patient May Deny Family Members Access to Treatment Information.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) This rule is adopted under the authority of Section 62A-15-105.
(2) The purpose of this rule is to explain patient rights for patients at the Utah State Hospital.
Patients, and when appropriate, family members are informed of their rights and the means by which these rights are protected and exercised.
Patients, and when appropriate, family members have their admission status explained to them and to have the provisions of the law pertaining to their admission.
A written, dated, and signed consent form is obtained from the patient, and when appropriate, the patient's family or legal guardian for participation in research projects and for use or performance of:
(1) electroconvulsive therapy;
(2) unusual medications;
(3) audiovisual equipment;
(4) other procedures where consent is required by law.
A Hospital Patient Advocate is provided to assist patients and, when appropriate family members, and direct their concerns to the appropriate person/agency.
Adult patients, who do not have a court-appointed legal guardian, may exclude family members from their treatment information.
February 21, 2012
January 16, 2018
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R525, please contact the promulgating agency (Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health, State Hospital). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.