Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R527. Human Services, Recovery Services.
Rule R527-36. Collection of Child Support After a Termination of Parental Rights or Adoption.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R527-36-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R527-36-2. ORS/CSS Collection of Child Support after Termination of Parental Rights Orders or Adoption Orders.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
1. The Department of Human Services is authorized to create rules necessary for the provision of social services by Section 62A-1-111 and 62A-11-107.
2. The purpose of this rule is to specify how the Office of Recovery Services/Child Support Services (ORS/CSS) will handle support obligations when there is a termination of parental rights or an adoption order which does not specifically preserve arrears.
R527-36-2. ORS/CSS Collection of Child Support after Termination of Parental Rights Orders or Adoption Orders.
Pursuant to Section 78A-6-513 and Section 78B-6-138, a parent is released from any legal obligation to pay child support or provide medical support when there is a termination of parental rights order or an adoption order.
If the parental rights of either the parent paying support or the parent receiving support have been terminated, or if the child has been legally adopted, ORS/CSS will not continue collection efforts toward any accrued child support arrears from or for a parent whose rights have been terminated if the parental termination of rights or adoption order does not specifically preserve the arrears balance to be collected.
An exception exists pursuant to Department of Human Services' Rule 495-882 when the child is placed in the care or custody of the state or with an individual other than the parent for at least 30 days.
parental rights, adoption, child support
September 26, 2017
62A-1-111; 62A-11-107; 78A-6-513; 78B-6-138
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R527, please contact the promulgating agency (Human Services, Recovery Services). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.