Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since August 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R527. Human Services, Recovery Services.
Rule R527-56. In-Kind Support.
As in effect on August 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R527-56-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R527-56-2. Requirements and Procedures.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
1. Section 62A-11-107 authorizes the Office of Recovery Services is to adopt, amend and enforce rules.
2. The purpose of this rule is to specify the responsibility and procedures for the Office of Recovery Services, Child Support Services teams (ORS/CSS) to grant or deny credit for support paid in-kind when a court or administrative authority has previously ordered cash support payments. This rule also specifies the right of ORS/CSS to recover the amount of in-kind support from the obligee when they continue to accept payments after signing an assignment or similar document.
1. "In-kind" support is support provided by the obligor to the obligee in lieu of payment of a cash support amount.
2. In cases where the obligee is receiving financial public assistance, ORS/CSS shall give credit to obligors for in-kind support payments when cash support is court-ordered and there is an in-kind support agreement between the obligee and obligor meeting the following criteria:
a. Both the obligor and the obligee shall have agreed to the in-kind support.
b. The agreement shall be in writing.
c. The agreement pre-dates the obligee receiving financial public assistance.
d. The agreement shall have been filed with the court.
e. The value of the in-kind support is undisputed.
f. The in-kind support is easily valued.
g. The value of the in-kind support provided in a month equals or exceeds the monthly amount of cash support ordered by the court.
h. ORS/CSS shall have received written notice of the agreement and registered no objection to the agreement when the obligee applied for public assistance.
3. If the criteria listed above are met, ORS/CSS shall give the obligor credit for the monthly court-ordered amount for each month that the agreement was in effect and the in-kind support was provided.
4. ORS/CSS may take whatever action is necessary to require prospective payment of the court-ordered cash support during the time period that the obligee receives financial public assistance.
5. If the obligee signed an assignment or other document from the Department of Workforce Services or ORS/CSS which specified that upon receipt of financial public assistance by the obligee ORS/CSS requires prospective payment of cash support as ordered by the court, and the obligor and obligee continue to act in accordance with the in-kind support agreement, the obligee is considered to be retaining support in violation of the assignment of support rights, and the office may recover the amount of in-kind support from the obligee.
6. If the obligee did not sign an assignment or other document as described in (5.), but otherwise received written notice from ORS/CSS that upon receipt of financial public assistance by the obligee ORS/CSS requires prospective payment of cash support as ordered by the court, and the obligor and obligee continue to act in accordance with the in-kind support agreement, the obligee is considered to be retaining support in violation of the assignment of support rights, and ORS/CSS may recover the amount of in-kind support from the obligee.
7. Once an obligor receives written notice that an assignment of support rights is in effect and that ORS/CSS requires payment of cash support as ordered by the court, the obligor may be held responsible to pay directly to ORS/CSS any prospective support payments which are due under a support order, in the manner provided in the support order.
June 9, 2008
December 15, 2017
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R527, please contact the promulgating agency (Human Services, Recovery Services). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.