Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since April 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R592. Insurance, Title and Escrow Commission.
Rule R592-7. Title Insurance Continuing Education.
As in effect on April 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R592-7-1. Authority.
- R592-7-2. Purpose and Scope.
- R592-7-3. Definitions.
- R592-7-4. Continuing Education Course and Approval.
- R592-7-5. Course Submission.
- R592-7-6. Licensee Course Requirements.
- R592-7-7. Penalties.
- R592-7-8. Enforcement Date.
- R592-7-9. Severability.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is promulgated pursuant to Subsection 31A-2-404(2)(a)(iii), which directs the Title and Escrow Commission to make rules for the administration of the provisions related to continuing education courses related to a title licensee.
(1) The purposes of this rule are to:
(a) adopt continuing education requirements for the approval of a continuing education course under 31A-2-404(2)(a)(iii);
(b) delegate authority from the Commission to the commissioner to approve a continuing education course related to a title licensee; and
(c) exempt a title licensee from the provisions of R590-142-4(2)(c).
(2) This rule applies to:
(a) a title licensee;
(b) an unlicensed individual authorized to do business as a title licensee; and
(d) a continuing education course related to title insurance.
(3) This rule does not apply to an individual who is considered to have met the continuing education requirements pursuant to Subsection 31A-23a-202(3)(b)(iii)(C).
The following definitions shall apply for the purpose of this rule.
(1) "Commission" means the Title and Escrow Commission as created under Subsection 31A-2-403(1)(a).
(2) "Continuing education course" means a continuing education course related to title insurance.
(3) "Title licensee" has the same meaning as found in Subsection 31A-2-402(6).
(1) The Commission hereby delegates to the commissioner the authority to approve a continuing education course under Subsection 31A-2-404(2)(e).
(2) The commissioner shall rely on the requirements of R590-142, Continuing Education Rule, for the consideration of a request for a continuing education course approval.
(3) When the commissioner approves a continuing education course, the course:
(a) is deemed approved by the Commission and has concurrence of the commissioner under Subsection 31A-2-404(2)(e) and this Subsection (1); and
(b) will be added to the Department's approved course list.
(4) The commissioner shall provide a report to the Commission on a quarterly basis listing new continuing education courses approved pursuant to this section.
(5) If the commissioner disapproves a continuing education course, the commissioner shall:
(a) remove the course from the Department's approved course list; and
(b) notify the course provider of the disapproved course.
A continuing education provider shall submit to the commissioner a request for approval of a continuing education course in accordance with Section 31A-23a-202 and R590-142.
(1) The continuing education credit hours required for the renewal of a title insurance producer license pursuant to Subsections 31A-23a-202(3)(b)(iii)(A) and (B), may only be fulfilled through an approved course that is:
(a) related to title insurance, escrow, real estate, or ethics; and
(b) categorized by the commissioner as:
(ii) title ethics; or
(2)(a) The restrictions set forth in R590-142-4(2)(c) shall not apply to a title licensee.
(b) A title licensee may obtain all required credit hours through one or more insurers.
A person found, after a hearing or other regulatory process, to be in violation of this rule shall be subject to penalties as provided under Section 31A-2-308.
The commissioner will begin enforcing this rule upon the rule's effective date.
If any provision of this rule or its application to any person or situation is held to be invalid, such invalidity shall not affect any other provision or application of this rule which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the provisions of this rule are declared to be severable.
title insurance continuing education
July 30, 2018
June 13, 2014
31A-2-308; 31A-2-402; 31A-2-404; 31A-23a-202
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R592, please contact the promulgating agency (Insurance, Title and Escrow Commission). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.