Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R645. Natural Resources; Oil, Gas and Mining; Coal.
Rule R645-200. Coal Exploration: Introduction.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R645-200-100. Scope.
- R645-200-200. Responsibilities.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
110. The coal exploration rules, R645-200 through R645-203, apply to the Division and to any person who conducts or seeks to conduct coal exploration.
120. Coal Exploration Categories.
121. Coal Exploration Which is Subject to 43 CFR Parts 3480-3487. This category of coal exploration is conducted according to the procedures set forth in 43 CFR Parts 3480-3487.
122. Minor Coal Exploration. Coal exploration during which 250 tons or less of coal will be removed will require Division review of a Notice of Intention to Conduct Minor Coal Exploration under the requirements of R645-201-200. Exploration during which 250 tons or less of coal will be removed on lands designated as unsuitable for surface coal mining operations under R645-103 will be subject to the requirements of R645-201-300.
123. Major Coal Exploration. Coal exploration during which more than 250 tons of coal will be removed or which takes place on lands which are designated as unsuitable for surface coal mining operations under R645-103 will require Division approval and issuance of a Major Coal Exploration Permit under the requirements of R645-201-300.
210. It is the responsibility of any person seeking to conduct coal exploration under the State Program to comply with the requirements of R645-200 through R645-203.
220. It is the responsibility of the Division to receive and review Notices of Intention to Conduct Minor Coal Exploration, to enforce the terms of each Notice, and to receive, review and approve or disapprove applications for Major Coal Exploration Permits. The Division will issue, condition, suspend, revoke and enforce Major Coal Exploration Permits under the State Program. The Division will review and respond to Notices of Intention to Conduct Minor Coal Exploration and initial applications for Major Coal Exploration Permits within 15 days of receipt.
230. The Division will coordinate review of Notices of intention to conduct Minor Coal Exploration and review, approval or disapproval of Major Coal Exploration Permit applications with other government agencies, as appropriate.
reclamation, coal mines
September 6, 2016
40-10-1 et seq.
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R645, please contact the promulgating agency (Natural Resources; Oil, Gas and Mining; Coal). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.