Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R651. Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation.

Rule R651-102. Government Records Access Management Act.

As in effect on January 1, 2020

Table of Contents

R651-102-1. Purpose and Authority.

(1) This rule prescribes where and to whom requests for information shall be directed and provides procedures for access to division records as allowed under Subsection 63G-2-204(2).

(2) Specific procedures for requesting division records are provided in Chapter 2, Title 63G, Government Records Access and Management Act.

R651-102-2. Definitions.

(1) Terms used in this rule are defined in Section 63G-2-103.

(2) In addition:

(a) "Records officer" means the individual located in the Salt Lake division office designated by the director of the division to work with state archives in the care, maintenance, scheduling, designation, classification, disposal, and preservation of records.

(b) "Division" means the Division of Parks and Recreation.

R651-102-3. Allocation of Responsibility Within the Division.

The division is considered a governmental entity and the director of the division is considered the head of the governmental entity.

R651-102-4. Requesting Information.

(1) A person making a request for any record shall furnish the division with a written request as provided in Subsection 63G-2-204(1) on a form provided by the division.

(2)(a) A request for any record shall be made only to the records officer in the Salt Lake division office located at 1594 West North Temple Salt Lake City, Utah.

(b) Response to a request submitted to any person other than the records officer in the Salt Lake division office may be delayed.

(3)(a) The records officer shall respond to each request according to Section 63G-2-204.

(b) Under authority of Subsection 63G-2-201(5)(b) the director may, in his discretion, disclose records that are private under Subsection 63G-2-302(2) or protected under Section 63G-2-304 to persons other than those specified in Section 63G-2-202 or 63G-2-206 if he determines there is no interest in restricting access to the record, or that the interests favoring access outweighs the interest favoring restriction of access.

R651-102-5. Requests for Access for Research Purposes.

(1) Access to private or controlled records for research purposes is allowed under Section 63G-2-202(8).

(2) Requests for access to private or controlled records for research purposes may be made to the records officer in the Salt Lake division office.

R651-102-6. Intellectual Property Records.

(1) The division may duplicate and distribute an intellectual property right that is owned by the division in accordance with Subsection 63G-2-201(10).

(2) Decisions with regard to these rights shall be made by the records officer in the Salt Lake division office.

(3) Any request regarding the duplication and distribution of such materials shall be made in writing to the records officer in the Salt Lake division office.

R651-102-7. Fees.

(1) The division, pursuant to Section 63G-2-203, may charge a reasonable fee to cover the actual cost of duplicating a record or compiling a record in a form other than that maintained by the division.

(2) The division shall establish fees according to Subsection 63G-2-203(3).

(3) Fees must be paid at the time of the request or before the records are provided to the requester.

(4) The records officer may fulfill a record request without charge according to the guidelines established in Subsection 63G-2-203(3).

(5) Requests for a fee waiver may be made to the records officer in the Salt Lake division office.

R651-102-8. Denials.

(1) If the records officer denies a request in whole or in part, he shall send a notice of denial to the requester either in person or by sending the notice to the requester's address.

(2) The notice of denial shall contain the information required in Subsection 63G-2-205(2).

R651-102-9. Appeal of Access Determination.

(1) Any person aggrieved by an access determination made by the records officer, including a person not a party to the division proceeding may, within 30 days after the determination, appeal the determination to the director by submitting a notice of appeal on a form provided by the division.

(2) The notice of appeal shall contain the information provided in Subsection 63G-2-401(2).

(3) Upon receiving the notice of appeal the director shall make a determination according to the guidelines and within the time periods specified in Section 63G-2-401.

R651-102-10. Appeal of Request to Amend a Record.

(1) Any individual contesting the accuracy or completeness of any public, private, or protected record concerning him may request the division amend the record according to the guidelines specified in Subsection 63G-2-603(2).

(2) The request to amend shall be considered a request for agency action as prescribed in Subsection 63G-46b-3 and the adjudicative proceeding shall be conducted informally according to the procedures prescribed in Section 63G-46b-5 and R651-101, Adjudicative Proceedings.

(3) Any request to amend a record must be made to the records officer in the Salt Lake division office on a form provided by the division.


government documents, freedom of information, public records

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment


Notice of Continuation

March 23, 2017

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law


Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R651, please contact the promulgating agency (Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.