Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R651. Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation.

Rule R651-608. Events of Special Uses.

As in effect on October 1, 2019

Table of Contents

R651-608-1. Permit Requirements.

A special assembly, exhibit, public speech, public demonstration, or special activity or use (in this Rule collectively called "event") shall be by special use permit ("permit").

(1) REQUESTS. The person or group desiring to conduct an event shall request a permit from the local park manager, region or the Division's main office at least 30 business days before the proposed event. Late requests may be accepted subject to the terms of subsection (4) below.

(2) REQUIREMENTS. The Division director or his designee shall have the discretion to grant or deny the request for permit. A permit may be granted only on the following requirements: (a) No event may substantially interrupt the safe and orderly operation of the park or facility; (b) No event may unduly interfere with proper fire, police, ambulance or other life-safety protection or service to areas where the activity will take place or areas contiguous thereto; (c) No event may be reasonably likely to cause injury to persons or property; (d) No event may involve pornographic or obscene materials or performances, or materials harmful to minors, as those terms are used in the Utah criminal code or in applicable local ordinances; and (f) liability insurance will be required, co-insuring the Division and meeting the minimum requirements set by the Utah Division of Risk Management.


(a) Considerations. When two or more persons, groups or organizations request to use a park or facility for events that conflict as to time, place, or purpose, the Division director or his designee shall evaluate: (i) the size, nature and purpose of each event; (ii) each event's historical or traditional use of the park or facility; (iii) the date and time each conflicting request was received by the Division: (iv) whether an event would require Division support services; (v) possible alternative places or times for the conflicting events; and (vi) other factors that would resolve the conflicts, protect the public safety, health, and welfare, or assist the Division in regulating the time, place, and manner of the events.

(b) Disposition. After obtaining the relevant information and weighing the relevant considerations stated in the immediately preceding paragraph, the Division director or his designee shall resolve the conflict (i) by the parties' agreement to modify the requests to avoid conflicts and accommodate the public interest; or (ii) if no voluntary agreement is reached, by ordering the time, place, and manner for each requested event; or (iii) by exercising his discretion to deny one or more or all of the requests.

(4) LATE REQUESTS. When a request for permit is not timely made under subsection (1), the request shall state the grounds for its untimeliness. If the Division director or his designee determines that the untimeliness should be excused because of exigency, unexpected circumstances, or other reasons, the request shall be processed.

(5) APPEALS. There shall be no right to administrative appeal of the decision granting or denying a request for permit.

R651-608-2. Events Prohibited without Permit.

Any person, defined as "an individual, partnership, corporation, association, governmental entity or public or private organization of any character other than an agency", or agency shall not engage, conduct, or participate in a commercial activity or scheduled event on state park property without a Special Use Permit, Cooperative Agreement or Concession Contract.



Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

June 9, 2014

Notice of Continuation

June 7, 2018

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law


Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R651, please contact the promulgating agency (Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.