Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since August 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R652. Natural Resources; Forestry, Fire and State Lands.

Rule R652-41. Rights of Entry.

As in effect on August 1, 2019

Table of Contents

R652-41-100. Authority.

This rule implements Section 65A-7-1 which authorizes the Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands to establish criteria by rule for the sale, exchange, lease or other disposition or conveyance of sovereign lands including procedures for determining fair-market value of those lands.

R652-41-200. Rights of Entry on Sovereign Lands.

1. The division may issue non-exclusive right of entry permits on sovereign lands when the division deems it consistent with division rules.

2. Commercial use of sovereign lands: a right of entry permit shall be required for any person to use, occupy, or travel upon sovereign land in conjunction with any commercial enterprise without regard to the incidental nature of the use, occupancy, or travel, except that a right of entry permit shall not be necessary when the use, occupancy, or travel is across authorized public roads or permitted under some other land use authorization issued by the division and currently in effect.

3. Non-commercial use of sovereign land shall not require a permit provided that the use shall not exceed 15 consecutive days and shall not conflict with an applicable land use or with a management plan. At the conclusion of the 15-day period, any personal property, garbage, litter, and associated debris must be removed by the user. The use may not be relocated on any other sovereign land within a distance of at least two miles from the original site or be allowed to reestablish at the original site for 20 consecutive days. If, for any reason, a non-commercial, incidental user desires a document authorizing the use, the division may issue a Letter of Authorization upon payment of an administrative charge.

4. Non-commercial uses of sovereign land exceeding 15 consecutive days will require a right of entry permit.

R652-41-300. Rights of Entry Acquired by Application.

Rights of entry on sovereign lands may be acquired only by application and grant made in compliance with the rules and laws applicable thereto. All applications shall be made on division forms. The filing of an application form is deemed to constitute the applicant's offer to purchase a right-of-entry under the conditions contained in these rules.

R652-41-400. Valuable Consideration for Right of Entry Permits.

The consideration for any right of entry permit granted under these rules, including those granted to municipal or county governments or agencies of the state or federal government, shall be determined pursuant to R652-41-600.

R652-41-500. Division Contractors.

Any person doing work for the division under a contract or other permit may enter upon sovereign lands for the purpose and period of time authorized by the contract or other permit without obtaining a right of entry.

R652-41-600. Right of Entry Fees.

The division shall establish minimum fees for right of entry permits which may be based on the cost incurred by the division in administering the right of entry permit and the fair-market value of a proposed land use.

R652-41-700. Application Procedures.

1. Time of Filing. Applications for right of entry permits are received for filing in the office of the division during office hours. Except as provided, all applications received, whether by U.S. Mail or delivery over the counter, are immediately stamped with the exact date of filing.

2. Non-refundable Application Fees. All applications must be accompanied with a non-refundable application fee as specified in R652-4. After review of the application, the division shall notify the applicant of the fee pursuant to R652-41-600. Failure to pay the fee within 15 days of mailing of notification shall cause the denial of the application.

3. Refunds and Withdrawals of Applications

(a) If an application for a right of entry permit is rejected, all monies tendered by the applicant, except the application fee, will be refunded.

(b) Should an applicant desire to withdraw the application, the applicant must make a written request. If the request is received prior to the time that the application is approved, all monies tendered by the applicant, except the application fee, will be refunded. If the request for withdrawal is received after the application is approved, all monies tendered are forfeited to the division, unless otherwise ordered by the director for a good cause shown.

4. Application Review.

(a) Upon receipt of an application, the division shall review the application for completeness. The division shall allow all applicants submitting incomplete applications at least 15 days from the date of mailing of notice as evidenced by the certified mailing posting receipt (Postal Service form 3800), within which to cure any deficiencies. Incomplete applications not remedied within the designated time period may be denied.

(b) Application approval by the director constitutes acceptance of the applicant's offer.

R652-41-800. Term of Rights of Entry.

Rights of entry granted under these rules shall normally be for no greater than a one year term. Longer terms may be granted upon application based on a written finding that such a grant is in the best interest of the beneficiaries.

R652-41-900. Conveyance Documents.

Each right of entry shall contain provisions necessary to ensure responsible surface management, including the following provisions: the rights and responsibilities of the permittee, rights reserved to the permitter; the term of the right of entry; payment obligations; and protection of the state from liability for all action of the permittee.

R652-41-1000. Bonding Provisions.

1. Prior to the issuance of a right of entry, or for good cause shown at any time during the term of the right of entry, upon 15 days' written notice, the applicant or permittee may be required to post with the division a bond in the form and amount as may be determined by the division to assure compliance with all terms and conditions of the right of entry.

2. Bonds posted on rights of entry may be used for payment of all monies, rentals, royalties due to the permitter, reclamation costs, and for compliance with all other terms, conditions, and rules pertaining to the right of entry.

3. Bonds may be increased or decreased in reasonable amounts, at any time as the division may decide, provided the division first gives permittee 15 days' written notice stating the increase and the reason(s) for the increase.

4. Bonds may be accepted in any of the following forms at the discretion of the division:

(a) Surety bond with an approved corporate surety registered in Utah.

(b) Cash deposit. However, the state will not be responsible for any investment returns on cash deposits.

(c) Certificates of deposit in the name of "Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands and Permittee, c/o Permittee's address", with an approved state or federally insured banking institution registered in Utah. The certificate of deposit must have a maturity date no greater than 12 months, be automatically renewable, and be deposited with the division, the permittee will be entitled to and receive the interest payments. All certificates of deposit must be endorsed by the permittee prior to acceptance by the director.

(d) Other forms of surety as may be acceptable to the division.

(e) Due to the temporary nature of rights of entry, if the division imposes or increases the amount of a bond, a stop-work order may be issued by the division to insure the adequacy of the bond prior to the completion of work or activities authorized by the right of entry permit.

R652-41-1100. Conflicts of Use.

The division reserves the right to issue additional rights of entry or convey other interests in property on sovereign land encumbered by existing rights of entry without compensation to the permittee.

R652-41-1200. Amendments.

Any holder of an existing right of entry permit desiring to change any of the terms thereof, shall make application following the same procedure as is used to make an application for a new right of entry. An amendment fee pursuant to R652-4 must accompany the amendment request along with other appropriate fees.

R652-41-1300. Unauthorized Uses.

A right of entry permit does not authorize a permittee to cut any trees or remove or extract any natural, cultural, or historical resources unless authorized by the permit's specific terms.

R652-41-1400. Right of Entry Assignments.

1. A right of entry may be assigned to any person, firm, association, or corporation qualified under R652-3-200, provided that the assignments are approved by the division; and no assignment is effective until approval is given. Any assignment made without such approval is void.

2. An assignment shall take effect the day of the approval of the assignment. On the effective date of any assignment, the assignee is bound by the terms of the easement to the same extent as if the assignee were the original grantee, any conditions in the assignment to the contrary notwithstanding.

3. An assignment must be a sufficient legal instrument, properly executed and acknowledged, and should clearly set forth the easement number, and land involved, and the name and address of the assignee.

4. An assignment shall be executed according to division procedures.

R652-41-1500. Termination of Rights of Entry.

Any right of entry permit granted by the division on sovereign land may be terminated in whole or in part for failure to comply with any term or condition of the conveyance document or applicable laws or rules. Based on a written finding, the director shall issue an appropriate instrument when terminating the right of entry for cause.


natural resources, management, administrative procedures

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

June 4, 2004

Notice of Continuation

January 14, 2016

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law


Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R652, please contact the promulgating agency (Natural Resources; Forestry, Fire and State Lands). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.