Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R708. Public Safety, Driver License.
Rule R708-10. Driver License Restrictions.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R708-10-1. Authority.
- R708-10-2. Purpose.
- R708-10-3. Definitions.
- R708-10-4. Restriction Code.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is authorized by Sections 53-3-104(1)(a) and 53-3-208.
The purpose of this rule is to identify and define restriction codes that apply to a Utah driving privilege.
(1) "Restriction Code" means a designation on a person's Utah driving certificate or Utah driving record that indicates a specific driving restriction identified by the Utah Driver License Division required for a person to safely operate a motor vehicle.
(1) "A" indicates no restrictions are required for the driver while they are operating a motor vehicle.
(2) "B" indicates the driver is restricted to wearing corrective lenses while operating a motor vehicle.
(3) "C" indicates a mechanical aid or compensatory device must be installed in the motor vehicle the driver is operating.
(4) "D" indicates the driver must use a prosthetic aid while operating a vehicle.
(5) "F" indicates the driver is restricted to driving a motor vehicle with outside rearview mirrors.
(6) "G" indicates the driver is restricted to driving during daylight hours only.
(7) "J" is used as a free text field to identify additional restrictions for the driver.
(8) "K" indicates the driver is restricted to intrastate only while driving commercially.
(9) "U" indicates the driver is restricted to operating only three-wheel motorcycles.
(10) "1" indicates the driver is required to have an ignition interlock device installed in the motor vehicle they are operating.
(11) "2" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a motorcycle with 249cc or less.
(12) "3" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a motorcycle with 649cc or less.
(13) "4" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a street legal ATV.
(14) "5" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a motorcycle with 90cc or less.
(15) "6" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a motor vehicle on a road with a posted speed limit of 40 mph or less.
(16) "7" indicates the driver is restricted to operating a motor vehicle with an automatic transmission.
driver license restrictions, licensing
October 22, 2013
March 15, 2019
53-3-104(1)(a) et seq.; 53-3-208
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R708, please contact the promulgating agency (Public Safety, Driver License). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.