Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R708. Public Safety, Driver License.
Rule R708-24. Renewal of a Commercial Driver License (CDL).
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R708-24-1. Authority.
- R708-24-2. Procedure for Renewal of a CDL.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is promulgated pursuant to Section 53-3-104.
(1) When applying for a CDL renewal, or limited-term CDL, applicants shall use the same procedure used to obtain an original CDL. The applicant shall comply with Sections 53-3-105, 53-3-407, and 49 CFR 383 and 391.
(2) All knowledge tests and/or skills tests will be waived by the Driver License Division except:
(a) the hazardous materials knowledge test which is required by 49 CFR 383.73;
(b) when changes in an applicant's medical condition may require further testing/evaluation;
(c) if there are factors, including lack of knowledge, which indicate the applicant may have an inability to operate commercial vehicles in a reasonable, prudent and safe manner.
(3) Applicants whose CDL has expired for a period of more than six months, or whose driving privileges are disqualified, suspended, or revoked, are required to complete appropriate knowledge and skills tests.
(4) Applicants shall comply with Federal Highway Administration requirements contained in 49 CFR 383.71, 383.73 and 391.
July 17, 1995
March 28, 2019
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R708, please contact the promulgating agency (Public Safety, Driver License). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.