Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since August 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R714. Public Safety, Highway Patrol.
Rule R714-163. Street-Legal All-Terrain Vehicles.
As in effect on August 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R714-163-1. Authority.
- R714-163-2. Purpose.
- R714-163-3. Definitions.
- R714-163-4. Applicability of Rule.
- R714-163-5. Inspection Requirements.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is authorized by Subsections 53-8-204(5) and 41-6a-1601(2).
The purpose of this rule is to set minimum equipment standards governing ATV safety inspections in accordance with Sections 53-8-204 and 41-6a-1601.
Terms used in this rule are found Section 41-6a-102.
This rule applies to all street-legal ATVs.
(1) An all-terrain type 1 vehicle, utility type vehicle, or full-sized all-terrain vehicle being operated as a street-legal ATV shall meet the inspection requirements in Section 41-6a 1509(2)(b)(iii).
(a) A full-sized all-terrain vehicle being operated as a street-legal ATV is exempt from the mudflap, fender, and bumper requirements in Section R714-160.
(2) An all-terrain type 1 vehicle or utility type vehicle being operated as a street-legal ATV shall be equipped with the items listed in Section 41-6a-1509(3)(a).
(a) The inspector shall issue a rejection certificate when any of the requirements in Section 41-6a-1509(2)(b) or Section 41-6a-1509(3)(a) are not met.
(3) A full-sized all-terrain vehicle shall be equipped with the items listed in Section 41-6a-1509(3)(b).
(a) The inspector shall issue a rejection certificate when:
(i) any of the requirements in Section 41-6a-1509(2)(b) or Section 41-6a-1509(3)(b)are not met; or
(ii) the vehicle is not designed for or capable of travel over unimproved terrain.
street-legal all-terrain vehicles, safety inspections
September 27, 2016
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R714, please contact the promulgating agency (Public Safety, Highway Patrol). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.