Utah Administrative Code

The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).

NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.

NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.

R805. Regents (Board of), University of Utah, Administration.

Rule R805-2. Government Records Access and Management Act Procedures.

As in effect on January 1, 2020

Table of Contents

R805-2-1. Purpose.

The purpose of this rule is to establish procedures for the University of Utah in accordance with the Government Records Access and Management Act ("GRAMA").

R805-2-2. Authority.

This rule is authorized by Sections 63A-12-104(2), 63G-2-204(2)(d), and 63G-3-201 of the Utah Code.

R805-2-3. Allocation of Responsibility.

All operating units of the University of Utah, e.g., departments, institutes, offices, divisions, centers, schools, and colleges, shall be considered as a single governmental entity for purposes of this rule.

R805-2-4. Requests for Access.

The University of Utah is a governmental entity of the State of Utah and is not an agency of the federal government. As such, the University of Utah is not subject to the federal Freedom of Information Act.

Access to student records held by the University of Utah is governed by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and not GRAMA.

Access to records containing protected health information that are created or maintained by the University of Utah in its capacity as an entity covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ("HIPAA"), as amended, is governed by HIPAA and not GRAMA.

A person requesting access to a record subject to GRAMA, and held by the University of Utah, must submit a written request that identifies the requested record with reasonable specificity.

The written request must also contain the name, mailing address, and, if available, the daytime telephone number of the person making the request. Such requests shall be directed as follows:

(1) Requests for personnel records shall be sent to the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer.

(2) Requests pertaining to financial records shall be sent to the Office of the Vice President for Administrative Services.

(3) Requests pertaining to purchasing activities shall be sent to the Director of the University Purchasing Department.

(4) Requests pertaining to athletics shall be sent to the Athletics Director.

(5) All other requests shall be sent to the office of the vice president responsible for overseeing the operating unit of the University of Utah in which the records are maintained. A list of those officials follows.

(a). Senior Vice President, Academic Affairs.

(b). Senior Vice President, Health Sciences.

(c). Vice President, Administrative Services.

(d). Vice President, General Counsel.

(e). Vice President, Government Relations.

(f). Chief Human Resources Officer.

(g). Vice President, Institutional Advancement.

(h). Vice President, Research.

(i). Vice President, Student Affairs and Services.

A person making a request should consult the University's Web site for current mailing addresses.

R805-2-5. Appeals from University Determinations.

Appeals from University determinations under GRAMA shall be directed to the Records Officer, who has been designated by the University President to hear appeals pursuant to section 63G-2-401(9).

R805-2-6. Fees.

As allowed by GRAMA, the University of Utah charges fees in connection with its response to a records request. A fee schedule may be obtained from the University Records Officer.


higher education, GRAMA, records

Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment

March 24, 2011

Notice of Continuation

June 26, 2018

Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law

63G-2-204(2); 63A-12-104; 63G-3-201

Additional Information


For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R805, please contact the promulgating agency (Regents (Board of), University of Utah, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.