Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R805. Regents (Board of), University of Utah, Administration.
Rule R805-3. Overnight Camping and Campfires on University of Utah Property.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R805-3-1. Purpose.
- R805-3-2. Definitions.
- R805-3-3. Policy.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
To set forth the regulations that govern camping and campfires on University property.
A. "Campfire" means an outdoor fire, burned in the open or in a receptacle other that a furnace or incinerator, used for the cooking of food of providing personal warmth or for recreational purposes. "Campfire" does not mean a professionally manufactured barbeque grill operated in connection with an official University event.
B. "Camping overnight" means any of the following:
1. Sleeping, at any time between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:30 a.m., outdoors, with or without bedding, sleeping bag, blanket, mattress, tent, hammock, or other similar protection, equipment or device;
2. Establishing or maintaining outdoors, at any time between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 8:30 a.m., a temporary or permanent place for sleeping or cooking by setting up any bedding, sleeping bag, blanket, mattress, tent, hammock, or other sleeping equipment or by setting up any cooking equipment, with the intent to remain in that location overnight.
"Camping overnight" does not include the following:
1. Waiting in line for the sale of tickets to an event that will take place on University property;
2. Tail-gating activities on University property within areas designated by the University that occur the night before or the night of a sporting event.
C. "University property" means the university campus and any other property owned, operated or controlled by the University of Utah.
A. Overnight Camping
In order to protect University property, and to protect the safety and health of the University community and the public, camping overnight on University property not specifically designated for such use is prohibited without first obtaining permission from the University Scheduling Office. Permission may be withheld by the University on any reasonable basis.
In order to protect University property, and to protect the safety and health of the University community and the public, lighting or maintaining campfires on University property not specifically designated for campfires, in an approved receptacle, and consistent with state and local law, is prohibited without first obtaining permission from the University Scheduling Office. Permission may be withheld by the University on any reasonable basis.
1. University students, university staff and university faculty who violate this rule may be subject to disciplinary action pursuant to the applicable policies and procedures of the University of Utah Regulations Library.
2. Members of the public who violate this rule may be subject to one or more of the following sanctions:
1. Issuance of a citation for setting an improper fire pursuant to Section 65 A-8-211;
2. Issuance of a citation for criminal trespass pursuant to Section 76-6-206;
3. Issuance of citation and temporary eviction from, and denial of access to University property pursuant to Sections 76-8-701 through 76-8-718; and
4. Eviction from, and denial of access to, University property after an informal adjudicative proceeding pursuant to Rule R765-134.
camp, camping, campfire, fire
May 22, 2019
February 25, 2019
53B-1-104(8); 53B-2-106; 63G-4-102; 65A-8-211; 76-8-701 et seq.
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R805, please contact the promulgating agency (Regents (Board of), University of Utah, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.