Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since April 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R850. School and Institutional Trust Lands, Administration.
Rule R850-160. Withdrawal of Trust Lands from Public Target Shooting.
As in effect on April 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R850-160-100. Authorities.
- R850-160-200. Definitions.
- R850-160-300. Exemptions.
- R850-160-400. Planning.
- R850-160-500. Withdrawal Process.
- R850-160-600. Identification of Withdrawal Area.
- R850-160-700. Eastern Lake Mountains Withdrawal.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
The activities of the School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration are authorized by Sections 6, 7, 8, 10 and 12 of the Utah Enabling Act, Articles X and XX of the Utah Constitution, and the Utah Trust Lands Management Act, Section 53C-1-101 et seq. This rule is specifically authorized by Section 53C-2-105 which authorizes the director to withdraw trust lands from public target shooting through rule enactment.
For the purposes of this rule:
1. "Public Target Shooting" means the firing, discharging, or shooting of a firearm, bow, crossbow, or any other type of instrument designed to propel or throw projectiles or missiles.
2. "Withdrawal Area" means trust lands withdrawn from public target shooting.
This rule does not apply to:
1. Lawful hunting activities;
2. law enforcement activities by peace officers in the performance of their official duties;
3. discharging a firearm in the lawful defense of person or property;
4. use of the withdrawal area in conjunction with the administration or operation of a valid lease or permit; or
5. administrative use of the withdrawal area by the agency.
In addition to those other planning responsibilities described herein, the agency shall:
1. Submit proposals to withdraw trust lands from public target shooting to the Resource Development Coordinating Committee (RDCC) unless the proposal is exempt from such review; and
2. evaluate and respond to comments received through the RDCC process.
1. Prior to Board review of a rule that withdraws land from public target shooting, the director shall consult with:
(a) The sheriff of the county where the withdrawal area is located; and
(b) representatives from leading sports shooting organizations.
2. The director shall provide the board, for its review, the legal description of the withdrawal area and a justification statement identifying the criteria for withdrawal.
3. Each withdrawal area shall be codified as a new section under this rule and shall include a legal description of the withdrawal area.
1. Upon codification of each withdrawal area, the agency shall:
(a) Post signs delineating the boundary of the withdrawal area; and
(b) make publicly available a map detailing the withdrawal area.
The following trust lands are withdrawn from public target shooting:
1. Eastern Lake Mountains, Utah County, described as: Township 7 South, Range 1 East, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 6: E1/2NE1/4, NW1/4, NW1/4NE1/4, W1/2SW1/4; Township 7 South, Range 1 West, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 21: Lots 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11; Township 7 South, Range 1 West, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 22: S1/2 of Lot 9, NE1/4 of Lot 9, S1/2 of Lot 10; Township 7 South, Range 1 West, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 23: Lots 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, SE1/4NE1/4, SE1/4NE1/4NE1/4, SE1/4SW1/4NE1/4NE1/4, SE1/4NE1/4NE1/4NE1/4, SE1/4SW1/4NE1/4, SE1/4SW1/4SW1/4NE1/4, SE1/4NE1/4SW1/4NE1/4, SE1/4 of Lot 3, SE1/4SW1/4 of Lot 3, SE1/4NE1/4 of Lot 3, SE1/4 of Lot 5, SE1/4SW1/4 of Lot 5, SE1/4NE1/4 of Lot 5; Township 7 South, Range 1 West, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 27: E1/2NE1/4, NW1/4, NW1/4NE1/4; Township 7 South, Range 1 West, Salt Lake Base and Meridian, Section 29: NE1/4NE1/4, SE1/4NE1/4, NE1/4SE1/4, N1/2SE1/4SE1/4; Containing 1,533.68 acres, more or less.
land withdrawal, public target shooting
June 21, 2017
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R850, please contact the promulgating agency (School and Institutional Trust Lands, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.