Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R909. Transportation, Motor Carrier.
Rule R909-3. Standards for Utah School Buses.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R909-3-1. Authority and Purpose.
- R909-3-2. Adoption of Standards for Utah School Buses and Operations Standards 2019 Edition.
- R909-3-3. Advertisement on School Buses.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Notice of Continuation
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
This rule is enacted under authority of Utah Code Sections 41-6a-1304 and 41-6a-1309 for the purpose of governing the design and operation of school buses and governing the placement of advertisements on school buses.
(1) In cooperation with the Utah State Board of Education and the Department of Public Safety, the Standards for Utah School Buses and Operations as contained in the 2019 Published Edition, is incorporated by reference.
The Standards for Utah School Buses and Operations are published by the Utah State Board of Education and can be found at https://schools.utah.gov/File/2f934a74-4cbf-4473-ba60-8912a07ae640
(2) These requirements apply to the design and operation of all school buses in this state when:
(a) owned and operated by any Local Education Agency (LEA) as defined in Utah Code Section 53E-3-401;
(b) privately owned and operated under contract with a LEA; or
(c) privately owned for use by a private school.
(1) In addition to the restrictions listed in Utah Code Section 41-6a-1309, advertisements placed on a bus may not:
(a) cover, obscure or interfere with the operation of any required lighting, reflective tape, emergency exits, or any other safety equipment;
(b) be placed within six inches of any required markings, lighting, or other required safety equipment;
(c) resemble a traffic control device; or
(d) be illuminated or constructed of reflective material.
school buses, safety
July 8, 2019
December 27, 2018
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R909, please contact the promulgating agency (Transportation, Motor Carrier). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.