Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since January 1, 2020, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R940. Transportation Commission, Administration.
Rule R940-8. Establishment of Road Usage Charge (RUC) Rates.
As in effect on January 1, 2020
Table of Contents
- R940-8-1. Purpose and Authority.
- R940-8-2. Definitions.
- R940-8-3. Responsibility for Setting RUC Rates.
- R940-8-4. Process of Setting RUC Rates.
- R940-8-5. Depositing of Collected Funds.
- R940-8-6. Road Usage Charge Rate.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) The purpose of this rule is to establish procedures for setting road usage charge (RUC) rates in accordance with the RUC program established by Utah Code Section 72-1-213, and to set a RUC rate. The RUC program is a mileage-based revenue system intended to function as an alternative to the fuel tax.
(2) Authority for this rule is found in Utah Code Section 72-1-213.1.
(1) "Commission" means the Transportation Commission, which is created in Utah Code Section 72-1-301;
(2) The "Department" means the Utah Department of Transportation, which is created in Utah Code Section 72-1-101;
(3) "RUC" means Road Usage Charge as designated pursuant to Section 72-1-213.
(4) "Rate" means the per-mile usage fee that the owner of a motor vehicle enrolled in the RUC program must pay.
(1) The Commission will be responsible for setting RUC rates as specified in this rule.
(2) The Commission may, at its sole discretion, change the RUC rate.
(1) The Commission will consider the Department's recommendations for RUC rates.
(2) The Commission may consider relevant data and information from any reliable source to help it determine RUC rates.
(1) Pursuant to State law, RUC fees collected by the Department will be deposited in the Transportation Fund established by Utah Code Section 72-2-102,and subject to the calculation pursuant to Utah Code Section 72-2-107.
(2) Monies from the fund may be used to pay for costs of administering the RUC program, pursuant to Utah Code Section 72-1-213.
(1) The RUC rate is 1.5 cents per mile effective January 1, 2020.
(2) The RUC rate will adjust annually on January 1 equal to the percentage change during the previous fiscal year in the Consumer Price Index (CPI), as determined by the Utah Tax Commission for the per gallon motor fuel tax rate pursuant to 59-13-201.
(3) By November 1 of each year the Commission will obtain from the Tax Commission the CPI percentage. This CPI percentage will be applied to the RUC rate and the increase will be published by December 1 with the adjusted rate taking effect on January 1.
road usage charge (RUC), alternative fuel vehicles, RUC rates
August 26, 2019
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R940, please contact the promulgating agency (Transportation Commission, Administration). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.