Utah Administrative Code
The Utah Administrative Code is the body of all effective administrative rules as compiled and organized by the Division of Administrative Rules (see Subsection 63G-3-102(5); see also Sections 63G-3-701 and 702).
NOTE: For a list of rules that have been made effective since October 1, 2019, please see the codification segue page.
NOTE TO RULEFILING AGENCIES: Use the RTF version for submitting rule changes.
R994. Workforce Services, Unemployment Insurance.
Rule R994-102. Employment Security Act, Public Policy and Authority.
As in effect on October 1, 2019
Table of Contents
- R994-102-101. Authority and Statement of the Rules.
- Date of Enactment or Last Substantive Amendment
- Authorizing, Implemented, or Interpreted Law
(1) One of the purposes of the Employment Security Act, Utah Code Section 35A-4-101 et seq., the Act, is to lighten the burdens of persons unemployed through no fault of their own by maintaining their purchasing power in the economy. The legislature, in establishing this program, recognized the substantial social ills associated with unemployment and sought to ameliorate these problems with a program to pay workers for a limited time while they seek other employment.
(2) The Department of Workforce Services (Department) is responsible for protecting the investment of employers who contributed to the unemployment insurance fund, the interests of the unemployed workers who may be eligible for the dollars provided by the fund, and the community which benefits from a stable workforce through the maintenance of purchasing power.
(3) The legal authority for these rules and for the Department to carry out its responsibilities is found in Utah Code Sections 34A-1-104 and 35A-4-101 et seq.
(4) These rules are to be liberally construed and administered and doubts should be resolved in favor of finding coverage of the employee and assisting those who are attached to the work force.
June 21, 2017
For questions regarding the content or application of rules under Title R994, please contact the promulgating agency (Workforce Services, Unemployment Insurance). A list of agencies with links to their homepages is available at http://www.utah.gov/government/agencylist.html or from http://www.rules.utah.gov/contact/agencycontacts.htm.