Back on April 8, we told you about rulemaking seminars that had been scheduled for 2004. After the May seminar, we decided that we needed to make some changes to the seminar format. Seminars are now scheduled for:
- Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. — New Rule Filers’ Seminar;
- Wednesday, October 20, 2004, 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. — Update for Experienced Rule Filers; and
- Wednesday, October 20, 2004, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon — New Rule Filers’ Seminar.
For the New Rule Filers’ Seminar, topics to be covered will include:
- Where do I obtain the official rule text, and how do I prepare it for submission?
- How do I complete the rule analysis form, and other rulemaking forms?
- How do I answer the “cost or savings” related questions?
- How do I deal with the requirement for department-head review of the rule’s fiscal impact on business?
For the Update for Experienced Rule Filers’, topics to be covered will include:
- Who should review rules before they are filed?
- What happens if rules are sent back for corrections?
- What is the difference between policy and rule?
- Why can’t I quote statute/case law/federal law in my rule?
- How many times can I renew an emergency rule?
- What do I do if I have statutory language that is sufficiently explicit, but another statutory direction to write a rule?
Those wishing to attend any of the seminars must RSVP
to Sophia Manousakis at 801-538-3764 no later than two days prior to the date of the seminar. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, persons needing auxiliary communicative aids and services for these meetings should notify Ms. Manousakis at least three working days in advance of the meeting.
— Ken Hansen